Rock Monitor

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Rock Monitor

Postby Zyzygy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am

I'm keen on looking at getting a monitor but I'm not entirely sure about everything. Obviously I'm aware of feeding and housing and all that but when it comes down to the actual reptiles I have no idea which ones are good for a first time monitor and how they are temperament-wise.

Anything helpful is welcome. I have already found rock monitors for sale here (western cape) just need to know a bit more about whether or not they make a good starter monitor.
Zyzygy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rock Monitor

Postby jka » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:17 am

Rock monitors wil likely be the more "common" monitor you would be able to keep in the Western Cape.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizardLover » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:48 am

Define a "good starter monitor" in your own words. Nile monitors are also legal. Green tree monitors aren't blacklisted so they're legal. Fijian banded iguanas are legal. So rock monitors aren't your only choice. Temperament-wise, well it depends on the individual. Wild caught rock monitors tend to be more aggressive than captive born ones, if you were to get a captive born baby and handle it regularly, it could tame down very nicely. If you don't believe me, go to Reptile garden and ask to see Draco. The park is in Stodels, Bellville. Hope this helped.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zyzygy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Bjorn is actually the person I was talking to about getting a rock monitor. He actuallyhad a small one out while I was talking to him (it may well have been Draco).

Thanks for the replies. Rock Monitors seem to be the most readily available and, as you said, they can be tamed if handled from when they're young.
Zyzygy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:48 pm

That was nibbles.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cois01 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:17 am

I also bought a rock monitor from Bjorn. It's my first monitor and he is doing great, you just have to make sure to give him an hour or two's attention a day and he should be fine. My two boys handle him, one is five and the other is two. He has never bitten or hissed at them, but it did bite and hiss at me in the beginning. They only started handling him after I was happy that he was tame enough. He is doing well and even eats out my hand, but it does depend on the individual. They do tame down nicely and are awesome pets. They just need love and attention, and even if you don't give him a lot of attention like take him out every second day or so, he will still hiss and try to bite but once out he should be fine. They calm down with age as well. If you need any further info on feeding and keeping I’ll be happy to assist. Hope this helps
Cois01
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:03 pm

I got my own little "Rocky" and had him for a month now. He's doing sooo well and loves the attention he gets.

What is quite interesting is that he will be fine when I handle him, but as soon as a "stranger" approaches me, he starts puffing up (hissing) and slapping the tail. Me thinks I have my own little security guard LOL.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:05 pm

This is one of the rock monitors at work (they're approximately 9 months old).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jordan.G1999 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:15 am

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Rock monitor in cape town?
Jordan.G1999
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gohanlizard » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm also wondering jordan.g1999, because Reptile Garden isn't breeding this season. If anybody knows please say(it doesn't have to be Cape Town, I'm willing to drive through to anywhere else)
Gohanlizard
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards