Odd frog?

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Odd frog?

Postby staceyharris » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Hello
Can someone please identify this frog for me. It is the weirdest thing I have aver seen.......
Thanks
Stacey
Mandini, KZN
Frog1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
staceyharris
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Odd frog?

Postby NewtTZ » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Possibly a River Frog of the genus Amietia not sure which species
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Looks like that guy can jump. Could it be Rana oxyrhynchus ?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andre.P » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:24 am

The ridges on the back seem to be broken, suggesting that is indeed a river frog. Given the location, stripey legs and dorsal blotches, my best bet is a Common River Frog (Amieta angolensis).
I am not a complete idiot! Some parts are still missing.....
Andre.P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum:)

I asked Fooble and he concurs with it_bit_me, Ptychadena oxyrhynchus - Sharp Nose Grass Frog
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andre.P » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Ah, the eyes do seem a bit far apart for a Common River Frog (I just had a look at virtual museum records) and the snout does seem a bit paler than the rest of the body (with a broad dark band separating the pale nose and the rest of the body). Someone please tell me if my approach is wrong.
I will change my vote to Sharp Nose Grass Frog as well. Stacey do you have a larger picture of the frog?
I am not a complete idiot! Some parts are still missing.....
Andre.P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby staceyharris » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi thanks so much for the info. I don't have a larger picture, I'm actually a bit scared of frogs so didn't want to get too close to it and also needed to get it away from my cats. If I come across another I'll make sure to get a better picture of it.
staceyharris
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians