Kermet the .......... Frog??

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Kermet the .......... Frog??

Postby Frogfinder » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi guys

Please can youhelp me identify this little critter that my cats got hold of and i had to rescue... Twice!?
I have googled myself stupid already and cant find any pics or coments to ID this little guy/girl?
There are quite a few in Parklands, Cape Town and have had to rescue more than one from the complex pets as everyone else is too squeemish!
I understand that most frogs are teritorial so they always find their way back to where they came from, as i put him in the neighbours yard and within two days he made his way back and up my stairs, belly up. (thats when the cats got hold of him a second time!!)
I would also be very interested to know how to sex it so that i can tell if its male or female, maybe if i can keep the pets away it will mate with the second one i have in the yard :smt008 and we can have little kermets hopping around! :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frogfinder
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Kermet the .......... Frog??

Postby leonthemenace » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 am

Might be this one...with some colour variation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_river_frog
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Kermet the .......... Frog??

Postby Francois » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:07 am

I would say it's a Strongylopus sp. Probably Strongylopus grayii (Clicking stream frog). I hear them quite a lot in streams in the Western Cape. They make a clicking sound as the name suggests. As for sexing I don't think it's possible.
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians