Albino puff adders or pure puff adder morphs.

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Albino puff adders or pure puff adder morphs.

Postby GraemeEC » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi all.Was wondering if there were any pure albino puff adders about or any other pure puff adder morphs.As am trying myself to creat the puff adder into the same awsum morph colors and patterns as western diamondback rattlesnakes. Pics if available would also be great.
GraemeEC
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: Albino puff adders or pure puff adder morphs.

Postby poobsta » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:46 pm

If you do a search on this forum you will find a few posts with different looking puffies. As far as I know there has been striped, patternless, scaleless and a suspected t+ albino. Also you cannot "create" morphs do some research on genetics. You need to have an animal that posseses that genetic abnormality you cannot simply "create" an albino for example. There are designer morphs where people breed animals to specifically possess two mutant genes for a combination of sorts (e.g bumble bee ball pythons). Your best bet is to line breed for colour, patterning etc but those will not be genetically different and also will take a lot of time and a lot of effort. Good luck
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:58 pm

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby kfc223 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:59 pm

LOL Westley.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizardLover » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Westley's pic is the best pic of how you can do it.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Polygenic genes? Doesn't that count as a morph? You can line breed them to intensify certain qualities that you like, but there aren't very many recessive morphs, let alone co-dominant or dominant (if there are actually any). With Puff Adders, most of the different colours etc that you see are a result of locality.

To eventually produce an albino (or any other recessive, co-dom. or dom. genes) atleast one parent would have to be a gene carrier). So unless you get your hands on a scaleless or any other "proven" morph, you're gonna have to try your hand at line breeding.

If you just want cool looking babies, I'd personally recommend looking at getting Tanzanian or (legal, captive bred) Western Cape Puff Adders. I recently saw pictures of a pair of very nice Southern KZN Puff Adders, so you could look at those as well. I'm also a fan of Namibian Puff Adders but due to their laws against exporting reptiles, any animals you see for sale will have illegal origins.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Wesley nice troll hahaha
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GraemeEC » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Have been breeding for some time now.Got two solid tomatoe red puffies out unfortunatly they died before any photos were taken.Have two female het-4-albino that I also breed out and a stunning gold male who's now ready to breed.Have two female puff adders that are breeding at the moment. The one female is a meter long,has a +28 cm girth,17cm fangs and weighs one kilo last weighed on 15-3-2013.She only eats small rats.She is nice and solid.Will just have to wait and see what pops out,as its her first breeding here.The other breeding pair is the one with the genitics that produce all the crazy colored varieties that had been born here.Am busy gathering pictures together for a book I'll be writing on this subject of the puff adder.
GraemeEC

Postby Chameleon Company » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:33 pm

17 cm fangs? millimetre maybe?
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 pm

I take it you didn't get any pics of the babies even though they were dead?

GraemeEC wrote:The other breeding pair is the one with the genitics that produce all the crazy colored varieties that had been born here.

What exactly do you mean by "all"? You can't take two KZN Puffs and breed out babies that look like Tanzanian of Ghanian Puffs if you know what I mean.

GraemeEC wrote:Have two female het-4-albino that I also breed out

Who did you buy them from? Have you bred them out and proven them to be het albino? Could you post pictures of their offspring?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but where are you from? I'm not sure whether the "EC" means Eastern Cape or something else.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm pretty sure "EC" stands for "Eagle Claw."

Guys who have been on the South African forums for a while now will recognize that alias.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Blake » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:19 am

17cm fangs? I don't think so. Like chameleon company said probably mm not cm. But in any case, seeing is believing.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:27 am

Is this the guy that was breeding the hybrid Aurora x Cape house snakes that nobody ever saw and nobody ever got a photo of?

I am inclined to not believe anything unless I see the pictures. Where are the parents of the het albino puff adders?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby GraemeEC » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Sorry 17mm fangs.Will post pics once the hibernation period is over.Maybe they mate now as the rattlers are showing signs of wanting to breed.Just leave them to do what they must.Maybe there'll be more suprises to come.Only time and patients will tell.
GraemeEC

Postby Eyelash » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Haha...jip, Eagle claw ?

Puffies mate during autumn/winter by the way so I doubt it'll be a problem taking a photo or two for us... ;)
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to General Discussions