Seeking advice

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Seeking advice

Postby pytoxic » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi guys
I need your guys advice. I have been interested in animals all my life and love to keep them. I only really got into reptiles about 2 years ago. I now think it's safe to say that the bug has bitten :) So I recently got my first "proper" pet snake, a normal ball python whom I love. The snake and the whole setup came up to about R2500 (snake was R950 and thermostat, tank etc. was over R1000) Since I am only 12 and it is illegal for me to work( :smt011 ), I don't have that type of money. For example. It will take me about 5-10 months worth of savings for me to be able to get a thermostat . I would like to know if there are any snake species that are rewarding and not to expensive and if there is a way to cut down on some of the costs of setting up a enclosure without endangering the snake?

Many thanks
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Seeking advice

Postby Mehelya » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Any snake species is rewarding in it's own way, as far as that goes, and boils down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Prices will be dependant on quality, availability, morph (if applicable), and many other factors. Snakes such as Corns, and House snakes are easy to keep, have minimalistic requirements, and are generally hardy species, and pricing is normally reasonable for many of the basic/older morphs. Some of the larger snakes, such as Carpet Pythons are also becoming more available at reasonable prices.

There are NO shortcuts when housing an animal of any sort. That animal is completely dependant on your provision for a happy, healthy and long life. Taking shortcuts in housing, husbandry, or any aspect of reptile keeping would be irresponsible, and cruel.
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Well you can keep the ball in a tub with a heat pad and theremsotat.

Most breeders use rack systems for their ball pythons, depending on the size of your ball you just get a tub. Poke a bunch of ventilation holes, pop a heat pad attached to a theremsotat and just set the tub up with a hide, water bowl and newspaper as substrate.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Once you have one thermostat, you are fairly set. You can run multiple cages off one thermostat, depending on the wattages of your heat sources.

Racks are a very affordable and space-saving way of keeping snakes too. You can have 10 adult snakes in a single rack, running off a single thermostat. Hatchling racks are even better; you can keep (for example) 25 snakes in a single rack with a single thermostat.

Eyelash (a member here) is selling racks for hatchlings and adults at good prices with heating included as well as optional thermostat. I saw his work some time back and it's great. You might want to contact him.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby pytoxic » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:32 am

Thanks guys.
How many 10w heat pads could I run of this? http://lizardssnakestarantulas.co.za/220v-digital-lcd-thermostat-temperature-regulator-controller/
Would it not be easier to use heating cable on a rack?
Regards
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:54 am

Cable works much easier on a rack than heat pads and you have a more constant heating between tubs whereas heat pads (even from same wattage) have varying heat outputs.

My physics is a bit dodgy, but I know a very few guys are on the forum on weekends so I'll try to help regarding the amount of heat pads. You use Ohm's law of power, W (watts) = V (volts) x I (amps). So your thermostat runs off 220V and 5A, so you can theoretically go up to 1100 Watts, so that is roughly 100 x 10W heat pads.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby pytoxic » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:51 am

Thanks.
But how do I connect that many heating pads where there is only one port for the heating pad?
Thanks
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:02 am

You need to connect a multiplug to the thermostat and then connect all the heat pads to the multiplug.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby pytoxic » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:43 am

Oh now I see. Thanks Westley. What size tub would I need for corns?
Thanks
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:03 pm

You could go smaller, but 26l tubs are a nice size for all colubrids and smaller pythons so they would be ideal.

But remember, hatchling/young snakes need a smaller enclosure/tub to feel secure so you cannot keep hatchling Corns in 26l tubs.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby pytoxic » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks guys.
How hard is it to breed corns?
Regards
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:40 pm

If you just check in Google there's TONS of info on breeding Corns and most other species too.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby pytoxic » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks but I can't find anything South African though :lol:
I am in the process of making a rack and if all is up and running I will try pickup a corn at the expo.
Regards
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:41 am

I'm in awe of you pytoxic. It is not every day you find someone (especially so young) who would ensure that they have everything to ensure a happy snake because it is so expensive.

Well done!!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby pytoxic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks BB :) What do you think about volunteering at my local petshop? Just to help look after the animals etc.
Thanks in advance.
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions