scorpion identification

scorpion identification

Postby JJward7 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Please help identify this little guy i found him under a flower pot in the east rand area please could you also tell me if it is harmful to humans as there is kids in our garden that i am worried about getting stung
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Re: scorpion identification

Postby Primogen » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:47 pm

I going to say Parabuthus spp. probaly transvaalicus, there venom is dangerous and you should really avoid getting stung.
Where are you located by the way?
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:53 pm

That is Uroplectes sp I recon.

The body shape and stinger doesn't look right for Parabuthus (coming from a scorpion novice).

I would guess Uroplectes triangulifer but without locality it is difficult to say.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Sico » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Def NOT P transvaalicus or any other Parabuthus sp.. On the East Rand it would most likely be a Uroplectes sp. They are not lethal to humans (although someone always has to be first :lol: ) but they can deliver a painful sting. Other than screaming your head off for 20 minutes (if you're <13 yrs old) or swearing your lungs out for 10 minutes (if you're >13 yrs old - 0r >6 and from Brakpan) they're pretty inoffensive creatures.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mamba no 5 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Nasty little stingers, speaking from personal experience. Relocating would be a good idea. Not Dangerous, as Sico said, but nasty.
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:47 pm

I think you may have Pseudolychas pegleri there. Very similar in size and shape to the Uroplectes spp., and common in Gauteng. They have a red brown colouration while U. triangulifer is more boldly patterned in yellow and dark brown. The venom is probably of a similar strength. Could be wrong. Anyone confirm?
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm

That is Pseudolychas ochraceus, harmless to humans, their venom will probably just give you a bit of an itch.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Nice one shadowfoot. according to this paper: http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... s_Buthidae)%2Ffile%2Fe0b4951db02bfb0ad8.pdf&ei=-ziBUsrQC-yg7Aag5ICwBw&usg=AFQjCNGoXTw98PJUHsknMNct-299PbuPUg pegleri doesn't occur in GP and surrounds.
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Scorpion identification

Postby Terry » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:44 am

Hi,

Could somebody please help with identification of this species and some general comments regarding toxicity etc.

It was found in Ladysmith.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terry
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Ladysmith in Kzn? Nice find, thats a burrowing scorpion, Probably Opistophthalmus glabrifrons. Apparently a mild venom,they're not aggressive but they will sting and stridulate (hiss) if you bug them. They make burrows under rocks or in the open so you won't usually see them unless you look for them. They're protected by law so you should release it back at it's burrow if possible. In captivity i'd imagine it would need deep soil in which to burrow or atleast an artificial burrow. hope this helps
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Field observations and identification