Glass sliding tracks

Glass sliding tracks

Postby happy fish » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi there I'm new to the reptile world. I'm busy building some reptile cages. What is the cheapest & easier way to put in glass sliding tracks. The plastic tracks is costly & difficult to find. I would like to make my own method of sliding track & would like to know how to do it.
happy fish
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Glass sliding tracks

Postby Lukas » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:31 pm

I would recommend the plastic sliding tracks. I've had a cage with wood sliding tracks but it gave me allot of problems. I know I saw those plastic tracks once at Tip Top pet shop in Centurion. Otherwise you can make the front a solid glass with the top of the cage as a lid with hinges.
Lukas
SA Reptiles Member

Postby happy fish » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks Lucas. I'm in Cape Town.
happy fish
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Most hardware stores should have, the only problem I've had is finding a store that stocks tracks for 4mm glass. They aren't very expensive either, I recently bought 12m of plastic tracks / runners for R105.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Foxticity » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:33 am

I use 6mm glass on my iguanas cage and the sliders were far to weak to support the glass or even slide. The rails kept lifting up after they were glued. I left them in hot water for a while then used panel pins to nail them in. Yet again if I try to slide the glass, they will snap. Each piece of glass is about 1200x1000 being 6mm it was heavy. I made rails out of wood and screwed them in. Rubbed a bit of candle wax in the slots and it works great. They slide with ease and the rails cant come loose. Nice thing aswell is that even if your glass was cut a bit to short, you can just cut the wood to different depths to suit your needs.
PS. I cut my wood into 30mm stripes then cut the glass grooves 2mm bigger then the thickness of the glass.
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building