Crested gecko diet?

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

Crested gecko diet?

Postby Jake's snakes » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:36 am

Today I had a bad experience with repays crested gecko diet. Much to my horror Both my geckos had fruit fly larve eating through theire back and stomach. The vet and a local snake breeder looked at it and said that this had happened to them with a bad brood of the diet. Just wanted to let everyone know about my experience and wanted to see if it happened to anyone else.
Jake's snakes
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Crested gecko diet?

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 am

Fruit fly larvae do not eat though meat or any other body tissue.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jake's snakes » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Sorry not fruit flys. It was somesort of flesh eating bug I forgot what the vet called it. He said the parent of the larve could have laid eggs on a fruit used for the diet and it wasn't cleaned properly. He said he was pretty sure it was realted to the diet after doing an examinotion of the dead geckos. Unfortanetly that was the last of the diet so he had no way of examining the food source. I was just pretty upset that my first reptiles where dead :( .
Jake's snakes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:13 pm

That is not logical. No "bug" would lay its eggs on a fruit if the diet of the larvae needs to be protein in the form of meat.

I have a few kilogrammes of the stuff and will keep using it. I store mine in the fridge in any case. Hopefully your bad experience does not come back and haunt me. I am feeding this to a Giant leacheanus and would hate to have the same happen here.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jake's snakes » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:18 pm

the vet came by and inspected both the animals and said or enclosures where set up right and he didn't think i did anything wrong. he said another thing that could of happened was a bug placed it's eggs on a cricket or roach that i feed to the geckos.
Jake's snakes
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic Lizards