Advice on shedding Beardie

Advice on shedding Beardie

Postby Paarthurnax » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:23 am

Hi all.

I recently(9 days ago) bought a bearded dragon. I am not sure how old it is, but it was little more than 10cm when I bought it. On Monday I noticed that it was shedding on it's tail. I bathed it in warm water and the skin fell right off. Tuesday, the same happened with the torso, almost like a jacket coming off. But since that happened, his throat/stomach is very dark almost all of the time, exept when he sleeps or sometimes when I handle him. Also the tail is very light and looks exactly like it was about to shed, only problem : I just had!. The little guy seems fine in all other aspects. He is quite lively and damn fast LOL! Has a healthy appetite. Defecates once a day(firm brown with white urate). And has already grown to above 12cm.

I have noticed patches in his face and on his legs. Could it be stress from shedding? He wasn't even this stressed when I bought him home. Should I be worried?

Add info:

UV = Repti Zoo UVB10
Infrared Heat lamp
Newspaper Substrate
Temp cool side: 21-35 degrees
Temp hot side: 33-45 degrees
Diet: Calcium covered crickets twice a day, with the occasional mealworm. Veggies(basil, greenbeans, blackberry) offered in the mornings.
Misted occasionally
Paarthurnax
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Advice on shedding Beardie

Postby Ruan Stander » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Lizards shed in many pieces, not like snakes that shed in one entire piece. Have a look around the cage, the rest might have come off already. If not it should within the next couple of days.

I'm not an expert on lizards, but I'm quite sure that some species are known to eat their sloughed skin ? Can anyone confirm this please ?
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Paarthurnax » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 am

I'm more worried about the colour of his throat and belly as I was told the darker, the more stressful and upset he is.
Paarthurnax
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Try putting up a photo of the beardie so we can all see what exactly is the problem? Maybe it could spark an idea to someone.
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Paarthurnax » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Good idea, will do so asap.
Paarthurnax
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rico » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi ,

Im no expert but I do have a BD .. they shed frequently whilst growing , almost monthly.
The patches im not sure off but my BD used to have them alot , especially after a shed. It looks as if its showing off with his new skin.
If he is eating and active then in my opinion he should be fine.

@predator678 : My BD eats his shed sometimes.
rico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Paarthurnax » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:39 pm

I am happy to report that I will be unable to post a pic of the problem, because it is gone! Seems he was just irritated, as soon as the skin on his face came off his colour changed back to the normal white, not even stress lines!
Paarthurnax
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)