My Setup and New White lip

My Setup and New White lip

Postby Saturn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:40 am

I recently decided to get a pair of white lip tree vipers, Here are a few photos of the male and his setup.
He is doing well and eating without any problems. I will take photos of the female soon too.

The setup I have made is a living exo terra, live plants etc, so far so good, will see how it goes, it seems like the little guy is loving his new home.
I have a digital thermostat and hygrostat controlling temp and humidity with a timer, so high temps with high humidity during the day and a drop in temp and humidity at night as expected in the real world.

Saturn
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My Setup and New White lip

Postby Creepy Critters » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Beautiful set-up and snake ! Congrats !
Creepy Critters
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:06 pm

Are you sure that light does not give off too much heat? It looks very bright.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby kfc223 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Have you consdered rather using a low wattage heat emitter on a theremostat?
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Saturn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks, much appreciated.

@ Bushviper: That very bright light is a angel eye cold cathode from my old bmw lights....it gives off practically no heat at all, it only looks bright because the camera on a silly cellphone camera over exposes things, its actually quite a dim light.

@KFC223: everything is controlled by a zoomed thermostat/hygrostat. I am currently using an infrared lamp that keeps the temp sustained during the night and drops at night using a timer and thermostat, the humidity is controlled by a fogger that is controlled by the hygrostat. so temps and humidity are at the perfect settings.

I am going to go back to the rain maker system that I had with my old emerald tree boas, except this time I will have a filter system to keep the water clean, I prefer that setup as its low maintenance, it also gives off a more natural humid heat that is directly related to the temp of the water. Furthermore it negates the need to spray the snakes every time which I think irritates them.
Saturn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:02 am

Seems like you have everything sorted then.

Nice to see that guys put effort into their setups.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08 pm

For me the setup is the most important thing, it looks great and it makes the snake happy, a piece of news paper and a water bowl in a plastic tub is cruel if you ask me, its basically a prison cell.
The other thing is that why buy a beautiful animal and place it in a tub? it defeats the purpose of having a beautiful animal.
Saturn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sgmpanza5 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Beautiful setup you have there. Looks very natural. However there is nothing cruel about keeping a snake in a tub as long as you have the necessities in place ie. adequate space, heat, humidity etc. :smt018
sgmpanza5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Well that really depends on the species and the number of animals you're keeping.

Racks work wonderfully for juvenile animals. I only have a juvenile rack, most of my adults and sub adults over 80cm are in cages.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:58 am

Cruel as in nothing other than a water bowl and news paper. Nothing to climb, nothing to make the snake feel secure or comfortable, I don't know but to me that seems a bit cruel, especially if its an arboreal species of snake like a white lip.

I don't have a problem with a tub at all, I have kept snakes in tubs for ages when babies, its so much easier to hold the right humidity and temps with them so I don't have a problem with them at all, I kept my boa in a tub while building an enclosure, I ended up with water bowl and news paper with him as he was large and kept knocking everything over that I tried putting inside for him. With the smaller boa I put foliage and hides etc in the tub which worked out well.
Saturn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Gorgeous pictures man! That's a gorgeous snake, and an equally impressive set up.

I see nothing cruel about keeping a snake in a tub with newspaper and a waterbowl. Opaque tubs make snakes feel just as secure as a hide box would. Obviously for arboreal species you would need branches etc, but most terrestrial species won't make use of the branches in any case. There's a difference between meeting the snakes needs and what humans find aesthetically pleasing.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jaredr » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:51 am

Good Morning

BTW, that setup really does look awesome! And you have gone all out in ensuring that your baby is going to be happy!

I would just like to know if anyone knows any breeders of this beautiful species in Gauteng or in SA???
I am really keen on getting one!

Thanx!
An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
Jaredr
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)