moving from geckos to pinkies

moving from geckos to pinkies

Postby fatman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:35 pm

An acquaintance brought in a small house snake which he found in his yard. I am keeping it over winter. The snake has been feeding very well on geckos and I am now trying it on frozen thawed pinkies. It is refusing, even though it hasn't fed for 2 weeks. Tried scenting them with a live house gecko, leaving in a small tub, I have even brained a pinkie but to no avail. The snake has been doing well, shedding, active, and even looking a bit plump, approximately 35cm in length. Any help getting it on to pinkies would be appreciated.
"There are three things too wonderful for me, yea four which i do not understand....the way of a serpent upon a rock" Prov 30 vs 18, 19
fatman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: moving from geckos to pinkies

Postby JJward7 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:28 am

Good day having a wild caught house snake is illegal where i am but i dont know what the law says there about keeping wild caught snakes.
To answer your question i know it is very difficult to get wild caught snakes to eat in captivity and most of the time will die rather just keep feeding it what it is eating in order for it to live through winter. I am not the most experienced on the forum but that is just my 2 cents
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dillock » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:54 am

Hi there! How big is The enclosure and what have you got in your enclosure? Are there enough Hides? Have you tried scenting a few live pinks? if not try put two or three scented live pinks in a dark tub or even a pillowcase?
If you can't get it to work don't stress too much, its winter now and he shouldn't need to eat as much… I agree with JJward7 if you can't get him to eat pinks just keep feeding him geckos till spring.
2.2.0 Red Tail Boas (BCI)
1.1.0 Rainbow Boas
1.1.0 Coastal Carpet Pythons
1.1.0 Centralian Carpet Pythons
0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
Dillock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dillock » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:55 am

Good Luck Mate!
2.2.0 Red Tail Boas (BCI)
1.1.0 Rainbow Boas
1.1.0 Coastal Carpet Pythons
1.1.0 Centralian Carpet Pythons
0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
Dillock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 pm

This is always a difficult one..

If the snake was at risk of dying due to injury then I could understand you wanting to keep it for the winter/until it is healthy again. However this snake would be just fine in the wild without intervention. If the snake is healthy it can be released in a suitable area at about dusk when they become active giving it time to find a suitable hiding spot during the night(they are nocturnal). Captive bred bhs often take pinkies without scent transferal, wild caught juvies are often a whole different kettle of fish. At this time of year bhs are relatively inactive and eat infrequently often curling up in empty termite mounds or under logs and rocks. Releasing him/her is probably your best option.

In Natal it is legal to catch and keep wild caught snakes, in all other provinces it is illegal to be in possession of a wild caught indigenous snake.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fatman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the advicem
"There are three things too wonderful for me, yea four which i do not understand....the way of a serpent upon a rock" Prov 30 vs 18, 19
fatman
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)