History Channel Strikes Again

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

History Channel Strikes Again

Postby rmack » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi,

I was browsing YouTube this morning and came across this little compilation of misinformation and fearmongering.
The information is so inaccurate that it will make any reasonably informed Herper cringe.
Watch as History Channel blames snakes for deaths resulting from irresponsible keepers while describing every snake as a "monster" or "killer".
There is even a suggestion of large pythons hybridising with venomous snakes and pythons invading New York City to pose a threat to man.
This was broadcast all over the world, how many people now have an unhealthy hatred of snakes because of this sensationalist dribble?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQgdQxuODcA
rmack
SA Reptiles Member

Re: History Channel Strikes Again

Postby Bushviper » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:13 pm

The have gone the same road as Discovery and Animal planet with their rubbish they are broadcasting.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Yes I passionately lost interest after the whole mermaid thing. If a Kardashian endorses* it then you should know.

*for lack of a better word.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moe » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 pm

I guess its because of shows like this we have protests like the one on the westrand today... Got a flyer today while waiting at a robot that says "ban animal trading" all well and good fight against animal cruelty but on the very same page it says reptiles carry all types of diseases and it affects humans etc? Personally all the people i know that keep reptiles the proper way have never even so much got a flu from that?

Its sad to see how much the misinformed media programs have mislead people
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 am

Jis I get worked up over this! No because it pertains to snakes, just because the channels which are supposed to be factual are broadcasting utter filth!

There was a show on Discovery about people trying to re-discover Megalodon sharks off Cape Town. After watching a few minutes I noted all the "marine biologists" (even a South African woman) seem too good looking and well spoken to be real people, I concluded that they were actors. A quick Google search later and EVERY last bit of the show is rubbish.

Evcen the so-called reality shows on these channels are staged and set-up; it's so disappointing!

One can clearly see they have shifted their focus from showing factual, interesting shows to rather going for ratings like any other entertainment channel.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Savu » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Gee I have no time for the"ban animal trade" brigade. I know some of them,and quite a few have African greys sitting in a cage at home. They also enjoy nice wines and going out to lavish restaurants to dine,while some ride motorcycle and fancy cars. For all these luxuries that they can't do without,they don't realize that animals,one way or the other,sacrifice their existence. Therefore without private collectors and breeders,AND traders,a lot of the animals they want to "protect"will be extinct in future.
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moe » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:44 pm

I fully agree savu and the fact that they had actual names of people and pet shops on the protest boards makes it even worse...i think maybe we should also protest against idiotic misleading animal shows on dstv as well as these so called "ban animal trading" guys...i am all for animal activist such as animal cruelty etc but hell no dont protest and give out flyers with misleading information
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 pm

I did suggest that they go protest the muti markets but they are too scared. It is far easier to protest safe legal business than illegal businesses. The cruelty that takes place there is not important to these people however a legitimate business is far more convenient and they know nobody will actually do anything to them.

This campaign is a waste of time and money. If people are breaking the law then prosecute them. If they are not breaking the law why try to destroy their business.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Savu » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Good point BV. I shall also suggest the muti market next time I see them toiy toiying
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions