Best pet snake?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Best pet snake?

Postby scalybunni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Ladies & Gents

I really want to get a new snake that's docile & tolerates handling like the usual,
I already have a boa, a royal & two corn snakes and was wondering what other species of snakes make really nice pets.

Thank you in advance! :)
The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Best pet snake?

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Garter snakes (Thamnophis) are very cool to keep. They have aquatic tendencies and often dive if they have big enough water bowls. It's interesting to watch them hunt fish and earthworms underwater. Very active snakes and very curious.
On the downside they have very short life spans.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:35 pm

They are really beautiful snakes. But they do produce a mild neurotoxic venom. They spread the venom with a chewing action though and I doubt he/she will chew my hands. Another but :P that scares me a tiny bit.
The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Really ? Thamnophis ? I'm reasonably sure they don't have fangs. And yes it would be difficult to get envenomated if it has to chew on you.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Yup no fangs that's why they need to chew. But thank you for the suggestion I think I viv with a whole water detail and a diving snake would be amazing. I'll definitely look into it :D
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:55 pm

So where do the ducts from the venom glands lead to ?
Yup, very cool indeed.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:42 pm

No idea. I just know they have no fangs but the venom gets "delivered" by chewing.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joshhowell94 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:00 pm

I've found that Kenyan sand boas make great pets. They are very docile and they tolerate handling very well and they don't get very big, the only thing is that they don't make great display snakes :)
1.3 Kenyan sand boa
1.0 Brazillian rainbow boa
1.2 BCI
1.1 Corn snakes
Joshhowell94
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:33 pm

I stand to be corrected but i think the garter snakes from america have no venom BUT the garter snakes found here are venomous mildly (i thnk cobra family) like i said i stand to be corrected im not too sure on the garter snakes of america
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:34 pm

How about rhino rat snakes? Awesome snakes aswell... Im more of a viper guy but rhino rat snake definately on my list
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:37 pm

We all thought they were harmless but its been recently discovered they carry a mild venom. Not deadly. Barely harmful to humans. :)

I've never heard of their existence but I'll do my research about those rhino rat snakes. :)
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:48 pm

Yeah scalybunni i read the same thing about garters aswell... Check on the forum about the rhino rat snakes ive seen a few pics and posts about them just use the search bar
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:01 pm

How about some Black rat snakes, I know they are in the same genus as corn snakes, but they are very docile and can look pretty awesome too.

Here is my one of my favourites (White sided morph)
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Wow! Now that is lovely. Definitely something for the eye!

And I love that its docile. I don't plan on getting tagged any time soon. Lol
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Look for a docile species all you want, there is absolutely no guarantee that the snake you choose won't become aggressive or tag you. Find something you like and then find out if anybody has any docile animals they want to sell.

I honestly wouldnt worry about get tagged by something like an american garter if you already have a boa constrictor, they can give a nice solid bite.

The world is your oyster (provided you have the cash). Maybe look into texas leucistic rat snakes, taiwanese rat snakes, mexican black kings, honduran milk snakes, peublan milk snakes, cali kings, brown house snakes(highly underestimated as a great pet snake), yellow rat snakes, carpet pythons, amazon tree boas, spotted pythons.

Bites from most small non venomous aren't very painful and the thought of getting bitten is often more frightening than the bite itself.

Anyways, good luck :)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Next