Wood-plastic Composites

Wood-plastic Composites

Postby ewertb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:40 pm

I'm looking at building my own reptile cages. I'm not a big fan of anything wood for neither humid (rots) nor dry (cracks when using solid wood) environments and all glass is expensive and very breakable... I've been looking into molded plastic/PVC type cages and with wanting to go DIY to save on costs started thinking about the wood-plastic composite planks that gets used for decking, etc.

Has anyone ever tried building a cage from this before? Any opinions on its use?
African Fat Tailed Geckos 0.2.0
Ball Pythons 2.3.0
ewertb
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Wood-plastic Composites

Postby Viper_SA » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Those composites are extremely heavy and very expensive. That would probably make it impractical.
Happy herping :D

My Gallery: http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/index-25579.html
Viper_SA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moe » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi

I know this is very debatable in the hobby,but if you looking to go plastic/pvc.

Have you looked at trying tubs?

They work great for humidity & dry environments,easy to clean as well.
moe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ewertb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Tubs aren't so good for displaying animals and that is primarily what I'm looking for. They are however great for breeding or where space is an issue with large collections so will definitely get a tub-rack system if I ever get into breeding.

With further research I've however come to the same conclusion that WPC is not all that practical... Another idea has popped up though and that is using aluminium T-slot profiles with polycarbonate panels. These will be strong, light weight and very easily asseblable. Based on pricing I've obtained so far the initial outlay will be more expensive than a wood/melamine cage yet still quite affordable but a lot better value in the long term.
African Fat Tailed Geckos 0.2.0
Ball Pythons 2.3.0
ewertb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brussel » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:27 am

I would use the aluminum to build the frme, their are ready made profiles for standard sizes of panel, but I would look into foamed PVC, the signage people use it, not sure of thickness but I have seen about 10mm. It is light, easy to work and because it is foamed it is great for insulation.
http://www.maizey.co.za/signage-materia ... macel.html

maizey have a whole bunch of sheet materials, many of which would be ideal
http://www.maizey.co.za/signage-materia ... other.html
Brussel
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building