Ramulus artemis and Haaniella dehaani [Phasmids]

Ramulus artemis and Haaniella dehaani [Phasmids]

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 am

Hi guys

Thought I would share some pictures of my recent hatches. The R. artemis are tiny making them difficult to photograph, but I tried my best.

All of these are still L1 so the size of the dehaani is roughly the size at which they emerge from the ova. Very big!

Apparently the bulk of H. dehaani's natural habitat in Borneo has been destroyed, leading guys to believe they are extinct in the wild, or near-extinct, but I recon this could be an exaggeration. I have found no scientific publication of this.

Ramulus artemis

First a drink...

Then a bite to eat.

Hi mom!

Haaniella dehaani

I keep them in Exo Terra faunariums, but I am having some trouble keeping the humidity up. The entire lid consists of vents, so for the time being I simply have a transparent sheet over the top which helps a bit, but I need a more elegant solution. Was thinking of using epoxy or resin to seal the entire top, only leaving the lateral vents. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx for looking
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Ramulus artemis and Haaniella dehaani [Phasmids]

Postby Jamster » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Very nice! How about if you attached a thin layer of foam or sponge to the underside of the lid which you could spray occasionally as well?
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Great idea actually.

One has to remember that phasmids spent a lot of time hanging upside down from the lid and this is particularly important when moulting, so the sponge idea would be ideal as they could still have a nice grip.

I am just not sure how well the sponge would do at keeping the humidity in, maybe when saturated.

Thanx Jamster.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Jamster » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:42 am

You're welcome, hope it works :)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:59 am

This is one of the few species one can already sex from L1 stage because the females have such large ovipositors.

Female top of picture (with pointy thing) and male bottom.

Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:08 pm

So I have added vermiculite to the substrate and now I have sealed the upper ventilation holes with a transparent adhesive sheet, making sure all the edges are correctly sealed to avoid any of my phasmids getting stuck or losing legs.

So far is has been working well. Not peeling off due to high humidity, no insects getting stic and the fact that the lateral vents are still open means excellent air exchange.

Not sure if you can see the adhesive sheet on the pic, and substrate visible in background.

Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:27 pm

Some updated pics.

R. artemis L3/L4 (possibly even the same one as above). Grown quite a bit in just 45 days and turning green quick.

H. dehaani L2 female, becoming nice and spiky now! First pic in defensive posture with down-turned abdomen

Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:15 am

Just a few quick updated snapshots.

The R. artemis are growing like weeds! Check the first picture on my thumb and compare it to these, only 2.5 months later. It seems they are growing faster the older they get, which is a bit strange.

The H. dehaani are growing slowly but surely. This is the largest female at the moment.

Here she is just below my thumb, with one that hatched last night below my pinky finger.

I have a few other species which have also started hatching, but will wait until they are L2 before posting pictures.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mehelya » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Geez. Been feeding your plants growth formula, by any chance? ;) that rate of growth is phenomenal. What is their estimated/average lifespan?
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanx Rian

Apparently Raumuls are fast growing because of their short life span (or is that short lifespan because they are fast growing...doesnt matter) and they take about 3 months to reach adulthood and live 2-3 months as adults.

The inverse is true for the Haaniella; they grow slow and have a longer lifespan. I think they can live up to a year or two.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:36 am

So all my Ramulus artemis are adults now. These things are so prolific that I have to off more than half of them. I only kept 12 to raise to adulthood, but I probably had over 70 when they were still nymphs.

They just started laying eggs, but I wont be raising another generation. I have raised this species from egg to egg, so I am looking for the next species now. Check out how interesting the eggs are.

Few pics of one of the adults

And here are a few close ups of the Haaniella, playing with the new camera.

Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:47 pm

My first few male Haaniella dehaani moulted to adult recently and have a bunch of sub adult females ready to go.

Adult male. These are so spiny, they are really difficult to handle, serious.

Nice collared sub adult female

Dark sub adult female

Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:59 pm

First female moulted to adult recently. This is one of the more aggressive species; give a painful little prick, haha.

Check out the cool little wings.

Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Other invertebrates