are these tubs alright?

are these tubs alright?

Postby cornsnakekeepr » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:10 pm

hi, this is an itroduction and a question. i have owned reptiles for a few years and have loved this site as it has always had information that has been very useful. i signed up a while ago but this is my first official post.
at the moment i have got 4 corns, and since i plan on attending the reptile expo this december (which i have finally made time for) i am planning on making a rack just in case there are any animals that scream "pick me" :smt006 .
anyway back to the rack. the tubs i have available are very similar to these viewtopic.php?f=93&t=26566 . the internal dimensions of the tubs i have are 73cm long, 34cm wide, 14cm high. is that alright for corns and possibly ball pythons? i know other people use the big jim crates and space savers that have dimensions of 60cm long by 40cm wode or something similar, but i figure something longer would be better, am i correct in that assumption? i laso was thinking of using a very large plastic dog bowl that will double as a hide on the cool side (just a second question, i have always been told to use a water bowl big enough for them to soak, but is it necessary as during my research of racks i have seen people using very small bowls i suppuse in a way of reducing the amount of floor space it takes up?)
i do no know how to attach pics as it says they are too big, but hopefully i have given enough information, thanks for any replies
cornsnakekeepr
SA Reptiles Member

Re: are these tubs alright?

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Sounds perfect for both Balls and Corns, but slightly narrow for Balls. Corns and other similar sized colubrids would be better to house in tubs of those dimensions.

Dog water bowls work very well as hides that double as waterbowls, one just needs to place a rock inside the water to prevent the snakes from flipping it, ESPECIALLY in breeding season.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby cornsnakekeepr » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:43 pm

o thank you very much every time i have se out to buy the supplies to build my rack i have had an attack of conscience as to whether or not the tubs would be suitable. just for interest sake what would be the right tub for balls? these are the largest clear tubs that i can find here in PMB. but anyway thank you again it is much appreciated
cornsnakekeepr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Everyone has their own opinion I guess, some might say those tubs are ideal.

The length and height I think are perfect for Balls, it is just the width (340mm) that is a tad narrow. If it were my snakes and I prioritized their well being, I would say 400-450mm and wider would be better.

But if you do decide on Balls, you would be able to keep them in those tubs to almost adult size quite comfortably before needing to upgrade.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby cornsnakekeepr » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Ok thank you well that is wonderful, do you recommend the big jim crates or space savers for adilts? I have been doing research and I have seen a picture of breeders in the durban area using both for their adults. I would like to give them the best tubs I can organise. So would having a wider tub be better than having it longer?
What tubs would you recommend as the upgrade for the adults especially the females as I know they can get quite large? Thanks for the help so far it is much appreciated
cornsnakekeepr
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Rack systems