Egg Bound, Paralysis

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Egg Bound, Paralysis

Postby Primogen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 pm

So a rather unfortunate circumstance has happened to one of my snakes.

One of my Black rat snake females began to lay her eggs on Monday the 24th, in the morning I saw she had laid 8 eggs with perhaps another 3 still to go.
By the time I got home in the evening she had not laid any more, I was not too worried as I assumed she would finish off by the next morning.
I checked on her the next morning of the 25th she had still not laid any, at this point I thought she was definitely egg bound, but left her till the evening in hopes something happen.
That evening she had still not laid and the eggs had not desended at all and were still high up her body, at this point I thought she was definitely egg bound.

I started with the very basic of treatments, a good soak and increase in vivarium temps and humidity.
However upon soaking her I noticed her tail was very limp and she did not move it at all, I deduced she was paralysed from lower third of her body, most likely from the pressure of the bound eggs.
I took her to my local vet who has been helping me with all my snakes, he also agreed the paralysis was from the pressure of the eggs.
We then decided to aspirate the eggs in hopes that it would relieve the pressure and restore mobilty, he then injected 1mg of Calcium Gluconate to promote muscle contractions to expel the remaining eggs.
She was also put onto a course of Baytril.

It is now the 27th there has been no improvement beyond the eggs been removed and they had to be manipulated out as she is still paralysed.
At this point I am strongly considering euthanasing her as I do not she her recovering, she is just getting weaker.

Just though I would put this on the forum for reference.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Egg Bound, Paralysis

Postby Ruan Stander » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:38 pm

That is terrible, I'm very sorry to hear that.
Makes me a slight bit nervous, as I can't tell for anything if my female corn has anything left to lay, will keep an eye on her though.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:38 am

Hey man have you considered trying ocytosine for treatment?

Regards
Tyrone Holmes
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:39 am

Sorry, its oxytocin.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blet » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:20 pm

I honestly dont believe the retained eggs could cause pressure on the spine and secondary paralysis. Paralysis is far more likely to be caused by Ca deficiency (not seen many cases in snakes, but theoretically possible at ovulation and lay), in which case it should be reversible with supplementation after initial treatment. Also likely are spinal injuries, tumors or infections (abscesses)...basically anything taking up space in the spinal colomn and putting pressure on the spinal cord. If you ask me, one of these issues led to the egg retention, not the other way round. Spinal cord lesions are only really diagnosed on MRI, unfortunately prohibitively expensive.
Blet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Well I am not sure what caused the paralysis, no further tests have been carried out.
It may very well be a calcium deficiency.
She is currently on Calcium gluconate 1mg dose twice daily since the the eggs were removed but has still not shown any improvement as of yet.
Whatever the cause of the paralysis, unless she regains movement soon she will die from the complications.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:03 pm

I have just checked on the snake now she has unfortunately and sadly died.
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Very sorry for your loss mate. That's an unfortunate aspect of the hobby, but one we have to deal with. Jeez life as a whole actually, we all get born and we all have to die at some point.

Still unpleasant though, at least you will get to keep a little something of her in the form of her offspring.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:43 am

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Primogen. Huge points to you for taking her to a vet and spending cash to try and save her. I know far too many breeders and keepers who would not even try. And as Predator said, at least you have eight potential kids to keep her unique genes going in your home!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blet » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:07 am

Sorry to hear, bud. All the best.
Blet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks for the replies guys, it's an unfortunate thing to happen but it does.
There is more bad news as the eggs she did lay all look fertile and white but are not developing, there is no vein growth when I candle them.
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Maybe they just aren't in a hurry, let's hope.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakesitter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:08 pm

^^ What Predator said! ^^
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital