Python attack ?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Python attack ?

Postby fires » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 am

Our reptiles are dying due to the lack of education or the ignorance of people. Its a snake so kill it.

Found on news 24 this morning: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... e-20150324

So unnecessary

Fires
fires
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Python attack ?

Postby Sico » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:54 am

Look, there are a lot of big pythons in that area, I came across a number when I worked up there, but this story is either really b dly reported, or smells... "She felt a "feeling" and looked down to see the snake around her leg"? Now I've been bitten by a couple of pythons far smaller than 4m in length and there is no "feeling that would make you look down", it's like you're getting punched really hard by something really sharp, and aside from being slightly to moderately painful, it's damn uncomfortable. Pythons don't make love to their prey, they seize it and constrict it with ferocity.
There is also no mention of how they got it to release her, or what happened to it after the knuckle dragger ran off to get his weapon, and how exaclty do you miss a 4m python on your bedroom floor? You'd have to have serious tunnel vision to not see something that size out of place in your house... Which is exactly the reason people like this became food for predators millenia ago I think... I call BS until I see pics.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:12 am

I have been following every single post about this incident and every one of them is different. The Rekord posted one too with a completely different story. This woman is trying to convince everyone that she almost died. In her original post she even attached a selfie, a damn selfie. In my opinion she is looking for attention and she sure is getting it.

If that snake intended to harm her it would not have looked like the little bruise she is carrying on the back of her foot. She would have needed more than just a bandage. Something is fishy here. She even proceeded to let her young child and a friend proudly pose with the corpse of the poor snake.

She is spreading her disease of ignorance to everyone else who is reading that and does not know better. :smt011
The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:52 am

What can we say? This story if fairly typical of "accurate" news reporting these days; A real story supplemented with myth and exaggeration to make for a more entertaining story.

I am no distance/length guru, but this sure doesn't look like 4m. Maybe 3.2-3.5 max, but not 4m!

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby scalybunni » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:56 am

That is not 4 m. Those dogs do not look very healthy either. Maybe the SPCA needs to pay her a visit.

Funny thought; imagine that boys' face if the snake magically came alive again.
The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fires » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:43 am

I fully agree sensation seeking as you say dogs look a pit underfed as well

Fires
fires
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Yes especially the mother dog that needs to feed those little ones. She needs extra nutrition.

She does not know how to properly care for her own pets so we cannot expect her to respect something as magnificent as an African Rock Python.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 am

http://www.jacarandafm.com/post/python- ... leep-pics/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRfOGsbH2ZU

The little wannabe hero's should rather clean their yard. The scary thing is the boyfriend actions. If they live in such a area they should familiarize themselves with the reptiles and snakes living with them.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby ewertb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:52 am

I wonder what NatCons' stance is on this? If it's illegal for us to keep these pythons without a permit (and they seem very willing to enforce this and nail non-compliars to the wall), isn't it illegal to kill them without cause? And yes, those dogs seem in bad condition so the SPCA can do their bit to get involved as well.
African Fat Tailed Geckos 0.2.0
Ball Pythons 2.3.0
ewertb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ewertb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:56 am

scalybunni wrote:Funny thought; imagine that boys' face if the snake magically came alive again.

If that snake came alive those boys would suddenly be looking as underfed as the dogs... :lol:
African Fat Tailed Geckos 0.2.0
Ball Pythons 2.3.0
ewertb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:32 am

I think the boy is stealing the dogs food. He is surely not underfed.

I suspect somebody was keeping the snake illegally. The snake looks as underfed as the dogs.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Ooh classy.
Cute kid :)
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:00 pm

ewertb wrote:
scalybunni wrote:Funny thought; imagine that boys' face if the snake magically came alive again.

If that snake came alive those boys would suddenly be looking as underfed as the dogs... :lol:

You guys are killing me!! I just lol'd in the office! :smt082
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Emerald » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:30 am

Hi guys im new here. Looks too me that could have been their pet and coz it was underfed it acted out and they killed it... people have no hearts... :smt011
Rather live 1 day as a lion than your entire life as a sheep...
Emerald
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions