Boa Hasn't defecated :/

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Boa Hasn't defecated :/

Postby breebree172 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi all!

it's been a while since i posted on here...
I promise i tried the search but couldn't find anything.

I recently got a boa again (Hypo Boa), picked him up on the 3 June, and i don't know if i should be worried or not?
He is just over 1m long but looks healthy and isn't too skinny or anything.
Basically i have fed him once a week starting apart from a 2 week gap (where he was in blue/shedding) he ate 2 medium mice (once a week) and after he shed i have fed him 2 small rats, about 13cm incl the tail.

Now this is where my concern comes in, he hasn't pooped since i have had him, he is on a Coco husk substrate as recommended by reptile garden in cape town, and i feed him in a separate container so i know he couldn't have swallowed any substrate while eating, he eats well and is active whenever i handle him etc.
His temps and humidity levels are all good and he shed in one neat piece as well. (if that means anything)
I tried doing the soak thing but he still hasn't defecated, should i be worried or should i carry on as normal and hope that he will eventually let go lol?

also, he doesn't look bloated or anything so it doesn't look like constipation to me.

Any advice i would appreciate, as i mentioned i have been reptile-less for a couple years now so i don't know if i am over reacting or not, i have had a few boas in the past but i cant remember any having this problem?
Thank you
Whatsapp: 0794902351
breebree172
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Boa Hasn't defecated :/

Postby Tyronen » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:20 am

Hi there,

Run your fingers along the belly towards the tail, feeling for any solid hard masses. If you feel none then you should be ok. Keep soaking the boa, I use water of 34-35 Deg C for 20mins and this almost always does the trick. Also during this time of year the digestive processes slow down due to the cold. So the process of rat to poop will take longer.
Tyronen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vrakkie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi.
I agree with Tyronen

Just do the belly check.I had small boas before and in general compared to other snake species I had it seems as if boas are more effective in keeping in the food longer (maybe to more effectively absorb nutrients) than other species.
At one stage I had mine in the bathtub a few times over the exact concern but found that they were ok.
Had the same with my pitviper.More than a month of good feed without defecation.
Vrakkie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby breebree172 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Awesome, thanks so much for the replies guys!
I check his belly everyday, sometimes twice a day and it all feels fine, what make me a bit happier is that he is still pretty active and after he eats the "bulge" goes away in about 2-3 days so i don't think he isn't digesting.
Thanks again
Whatsapp: 0794902351
breebree172
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Pythons and Boas