Permits for corn snake???

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Re: Permits for corn snake???

Postby MarineXII » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:45 pm

Especially looking at our society that is full of corruption, I bet all the guys just sit their and just type in the species and don't do a bit of research at all..
MarineXII
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:56 pm

That's exactly what the problem is and why I'll be ignoring this load of rubbish.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Savu » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Nice to know it's not just me fed up with this cr@p. Let's just carry on doing what we love and enjoy. Keep it up guys. Enjoy The Hobby
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:32 pm

I'm so confused about this, Ive recently bought cornsnakes and as you all know evey reptile in the western Cape needs a transport permit so it has to go through Cape Nature, our local petshop also recently got in a big shipment ..
Is this just for Joburg or the whole of SA also the list of invasive and prohibited reptile list I got (2014) doesnt list the corn snake ?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Appologies just double checked the list and is on there but just states area 3 but doesnt say where area 3 is
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:56 pm

Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:00 am

You see by writing your locality as "somewhere within google" is what causes the problem. The location is there for a reason so that we know which local legislation is applicable.

Contact your local conservation office for advise.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Herper » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:20 pm

Bushviper wrote:You see by writing your locality as "somewhere within google" is what causes the problem. The location is there for a reason so that we know which local legislation is applicable.

Contact your local conservation office for advise.

Profile has been Edited, I'm still confused that Corn Snakes would be listed as invasive in other provinces though and considering I've gotten permits for them recently and they being bred here I'm sure that its only in Johannesburg that they listed as invasive?
I know Tarantulas,frogs,toads and leopard geckos may not be kept as pets(I'm not 100% sure)
But according to Nature-Conservation-Ordinance protected species need a permit to be kept:
So according to the ordinance thats
1)All frogs and toads except those specified in
Schedule 1.
2)All Lizards
3)All tortoises and turtles except those
specified in Schedule 1.
4)Snakes:
Water Snakes Genus Lycodonomorphus
House Snakes Genus Lamprophis(oudated I know)
Wolf Snakes Genus Lycophidion
File Snakes Genus Mehelya
Slug­eaters Genus Duberria
Egg­eaters Genus Dasypeltis
Mole Snakes Genus Pseudaspis
Green and Bush Snakes Genus Philothamnus
Shovel­snout Snakes

So according to my understanding any other snake species should then not require a permit to be kept or transported, but I guess it falls under the "wild animal" clause, where they state no wild animal may be transported or kept without a the appropriate permit.
Exotic Reptiles are not mentioned except when stating noo exotic animal my be released without permission into the wild.
Also to my personal feelings and interpretation of wild animal excludes animals that has been regonised and traded in the pets trade as one would with a cat and dog, ie a corn snake bred in captivity and sold to the public taken in account all has been done legally in regards to obtaining the genisis parents would to my mind no longer be considered a wild animal.

anyways this is just my opinon on the matter
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Reptile Keeping