Having trouble with Xenops laevis

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Having trouble with Xenops laevis

Postby ayalpz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Hey guys :)

My first post here so I'll do a little introduction. I used to be quite big into my tarantulas but have always had snakes or lizards over the years. the reason I'm posting here is because I actually need help from some experts.

I'm doing my masters research in the growth rate of Xenopus laevis tadpoles (clawed frog). I have 8 tanks but 3 have died. What happens is that it looks as though the ends of their tails have been cut off and then they start to swim slower and at the surface. Two days later we find the whole tank dead. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys :)

Aya;
ayalpz
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Having trouble with Xenops laevis

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Probably a fungus. I would add a saline solution to the water if it happens again. Make sure you do not use the same nets for the other tanks or else you will lose them all.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Having trouble with Xenops laevis

Postby Bernice » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:38 pm

Im with BV...

Im no frog expert but I have had experience with maintaining aquaria... I had a 150L freshwater aquarium for just over 5 years, and smaller ones for considerably longer than that... and the symptoms you describe make me think low oxygen, and fungus infection.

If you have experience with tropical fish (not goldfish) treat your tadpoles in a similar fashion, if not, do some research on maintaining and establishing warm, freshwater aquaria.
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital