A snake on my wall!!

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

A snake on my wall!!

Postby Skoek » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:39 am

It is 1.30 at night. I was woken by the sound of crashing crockery :shock: . I went downstairs to find 2 mugs that were by the sink broken on the floor and a snake on the wall, sort of holding itself on a plastic type hook that the clock was on (it too was on the floor). The snake was about 50cm long and very slim with a pale yellowish underside. It's head was about the same thickness as its body and its tail tapered off very slowly. I am presuming one of the cats bought it in or it came through the cat flap and made its way up the side of the cupboard and up the wall.
I live in Kommetjie, Cape Town.
What kind of snake may this be?
Thak you
Skoek
SA Reptiles Member

Re: A snake on my wall!!

Postby Bernice » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:04 pm

Gonna need a bit more info or ideally a pic for an ID! you say the underside was yellowish? what about its back? any markings?

What happened to the snake?
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Skoek » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:09 pm

Unfortunately no picture. The snake was about 50cm long; slender with a long taper to its tail; dark brown/grey on the body with a creamy yellowy belly; head about as narrow as its body which was the thickness of an average middle finger or thumb. No markings on its back. That's about all I can think of to describe it.
Thank you for your response Bernice.
Skoek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Skoek » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:09 pm

My husband put it in the garden.
Skoek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Welcome!
Thanks for not hurting / killing the poor snake! I am wary to give you any kind of ID... it is very difficult to ID snakes on a basic description.
Just BE CAREFUL! it is always best to err on the side of caution with unknown snakes, no touchies! They may be venomous

If you run into the little guy again, try to take a reasonable pic of its body and head and post it here, then a ID will be MUCH easier, again just be careful!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:35 am

When it comes to IDing snakes, I always so, best go for the worst case scenario.

Worst case scenario here is that you had a Cape Cobra in your house. There are a couple other snakes that also meet your description.

Releasing it in the garden would not have been the best call. If it is a Cape Cobra, you would be risking your family and pets. Best call your nearest nature reserve and find out if they'd be happy with you releasing problem snakes there.

Good luck and well done for not killing it.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to General Discussions