Something for the mouse breeders...

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Something for the mouse breeders...

Postby Bernice » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi there!

I was recently given a small tidbit of information that has made a major impact on my small mouse breeding program, so I want to share with all you fabulous people!

Cat litter! if you use a thin layer of cat litter as bedding instead of shavings or news paper... it reduces the mousy smell by almost 90%!
I learned this from a nice lady pet shop owner. she rocks!

Granted this may get pricey for large scale, but if you only have a few cages I dare you to try it! get the cheapest, clay cat litter you can, not fragranced, none of that crystal stuff, just old fashioned, bog standard, clay granules kitty litter. (I give my mice roughly half a cup of shredded tissue and the same volume of newspaper strips to nest in)

I clean my cages once a week now instead of 3 times to keep the smell down... and you can barely tell I have a breeding colony going.
Works like a charm!

Will clean my cages tomorrow, and post pics of how much litter I use and bedding etc... so you can see what I mean and such...

PS Merry Christmas!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Something for the mouse breeders...

Postby Bernice » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi there!
as promised...

Step 1:
Evict mice, and other contents of tub, scrub and disinfect...
DSCF4919.JPG

Step 2:
Add kitty litter, use small container to "sprinkle" litter into a thin even layer... note, not very deep.
DSCF4921.JPG

Step 3:
Re-admit resident mice, add food containers, bedding and various enrichment articles...
DSCF4922.JPG

Watch mice have fun chewing digging, pooping, eating and generally destroying your nice clean cage...

Repeat weekly as needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I wonder why nobody has thought of this before. It makes sense and should absorb urine smells. Thanks for that tip.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:10 am

Very good idea Bernice. Thanx for sharing.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Kakibos » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Interesting post thanks.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping