Not eating and under size carpet

Not eating and under size carpet

Postby MarineXII » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:32 pm

Hey all! I have a problem. I recently got a Diamond Jungle. She was an import and was underfed. She is not feeding well at the moment. She took 3 rat pinks with me and she is older than a year. Do you guys have any advice? My one friend who has more experience has her at the moment to try get her up to size quicker. She had also shed a few days ago.
MarineXII
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Not eating and under size carpet

Postby immaculate geckos » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Snakes can stop eating for a number of reasons more commonly heat and stress related. So keep it dark and warm with minimal activity besides cleaning and feeding a smaller enclosure with adequate hides may help ... with things like rat pups that cant hurt the snake leave them over night and give it as many as it will eat. If after all else fails it still won't eat, you can try force feeding as a last resort.

keep us posted and add a pic if you can
immaculate geckos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MarineXII » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:37 pm

I will try get you a pic from my friend. Will send your recommendations to him!
MarineXII
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:06 pm

I would try brained pinks and teaze-feeding before i resort to force feeding personally... also I have heard that some fussy feeders go crazy for the smell of gerbils, maybe scent your mice by rubbing them on a gerbil? cant hurt? (the gerbil might need counseling however)
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:11 am

How long have you had the snake and what are you (or now your friend) keeping her in, cage or tub? What are you using for heat and what are the temps?
What did the snake eat at the person you bought her from?

If she ate 3 pinks then she is fine to eat rats normally, don't try to many things like braining, force feeding or food other than rats.
Carpets can easilly get used to a certain food item and not easilly switch back to rats again. So gerbils are not a good idea as you don't want the snake to now only want gerbil.
Just take a defrosted small rat or weaned rat and place it in the cage near her and walk away, not too much movement and come back in about 2 hours and see. Do this just after dark, you can leave the rat overnight, just not on the heat.

If you have only had the snake for a short while then I would just give it some time to get used to the new enclosure etc.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby MarineXII » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:12 pm

He also said that he would rather not risk it not eating rats again. He is keeping her in a tub. He is keeping her at 25 to 30^C. I had her for a month and a half.
MarineXII
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:59 pm

5 degrees is a big difference when it comes to temps, rather make sure the temps are 100%, 32 constant on the hot side and 26 on the cool side and ambient.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Australasian pythons (Antaresia, Aspidites, Liasis, Morelia sp)