Advise on feeder mice breeding

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Advise on feeder mice breeding

Postby smac128 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:50 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to this page.
I currently based in springs. I own one corn snake (I have previously owned a corn, cal king and a ball python before). At the moment I only require to feed my corn one adult mouse a week.

Down to the main story, I'm struggling to get mice of the right size, I had to feed her 3 fuzzies on Sunday because that is all the pet shop in springs could provide, unfortunately the closest other I know is all the way in boksberg.

So I am contemplating the idea of breeding my own mice, knowing how fast they breed, I was thinking of turning them into a breeding side line hobby. And also because I intend to get a few more snakes (turning into an addict lol).

Does anyone on this bord have any advice if the market for mice (and eventually rats) is too saturated for making it a sustainable business ( please understand I'm not looking into making a major profit, well at least for now) I will also be willing to pre kill and freez and pack them.

Your comments and advise are highly appreciated. Thanks
smac128
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Advise on feeder mice breeding

Postby Westley Price » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:06 am

Hi smac

My advice is probably not what you want to hear, but I suggest scrapping the breeding plans and simply driving in to Joburg or Pretoria once every couple of months and stocking up on frozen feeders.

I used to breed feeders when I lived in remote areas and it is not pleasant. The rodents are stinky, messy and require a lot of maintenance. In all honesty for a small to medium sized collection I would not say breeding is worth it.

But if you do decide to go for it, I wish you luck!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:09 am

There are various threads about breeding rodents. It is very labour intensive and can be rather tedious. If you intend gassing a freezing that also makes it a bit easier as having stock eating food and not selling could be a problem.

Use the search button at the top and lets hope it works out well for you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby smac128 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks for the replies. Will try do a little customer research, and some number crunching and see how it goes.
smac128
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile cuisine