African Pygmy Hedgehogs....just because.

Anything other than a reptile or any other category covered on this forum.

African Pygmy Hedgehogs....just because.

Postby HedgieHutSA » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi all,
If anyone ever needs hedgehog or even tenrec advice please feel free to ask! You can email, text, or call - 24/7. If you need to re-home your quill babies I do take in rescues and will bring them to health and temperament and find them good forever homes. Take a look at my website: www.hedgiehutsouthafrica.com Facebook page: Hedgie Hut South Africa Instagram page: hedgie.hut.south.africa for info and loads of adorable pictures. I also do hedgehog and tenrec boarding for when you go away! I charge R50 a day - Includes: Cage, Wheel, Hide & Attention. All you have to bring is your baby's food, if they have any treats they like and if there is something that they are close to that is like home. Hedgie boarding is throughout the year & if you want we will send pictures and updates.

Regards,
Hedgie Hut SA
HEDGIE HUT SOUTH AFRICA
African Pygmy Hedgehogs

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hedgie-Hut-South-Africa/612411435560928
Email: michaela@hedgiehutsouthafrica.com
HedgieHutSA
SA Reptiles Member

Re: African Pygmy Hedgehogs....just because.

Postby ROBYNREECE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi

We are getting 2 hedgehogs from the pet store (maybe pet store was a bad idea but deposit paid now)
They kept their hedgehogs buy the snakes in like an aquarium type cage like the snakes are kept in with an infared lamp.
I have been reading up on them and some people say they need allot of ventilation and they show a cage like a Guinea pig cage.The pet store says they need to be kept warm.
I am now not sure what I am suppose to be keeping them in.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
ROBYNREECE
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neill » Tue May 17, 2016 7:29 am

HedgieHutSA wrote:Hi all,
If anyone ever needs hedgehog or even tenrec advice please feel free to ask! You can email, text, or call - 24/7. If you need to re-home your quill babies I do take in rescues and will bring them to health and temperament and find them good forever homes. Take a look at my website: http://www.hedgiehutsouthafrica.com Facebook page: Hedgie Hut South Africa Instagram page: hedgie.hut.south.africa for info and loads of adorable pictures. I also do hedgehog and tenrec boarding for when you go away! I charge R50 a day - Includes: Cage, Wheel, Hide & Attention. All you have to bring is your baby's food, if they have any treats they like and if there is something that they are close to that is like home. Hedgie boarding is throughout the year & if you want we will send pictures and updates.

Regards,
Hedgie Hut SA

Your Website is not working :smt012
Salt and Pepper Hedgehogs (Male & Female)
neill
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CazOmega » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:19 am

ROBYNREECE wrote:Hi

We are getting 2 hedgehogs from the pet store (maybe pet store was a bad idea but deposit paid now)
They kept their hedgehogs buy the snakes in like an aquarium type cage like the snakes are kept in with an infared lamp.
I have been reading up on them and some people say they need allot of ventilation and they show a cage like a Guinea pig cage.The pet store says they need to be kept warm.
I am now not sure what I am suppose to be keeping them in.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

This may be a little delayed now, but in case anyone else is needing information in the future. Their cages do need some ventilation and a bunny cage is a good option for keeping them in. We also use open top 4ft to 6ft fish tanks with low-ish sides if possible as these give enough space and are easy to clean. A reptile type under tank/cage heating pad is a much better option than a UV light as these guys are nocturnal if you stay in an area that gets fairly cold. They cannot be allowed to go into hibernation/partial hibernation, unlike the Tenrecs, otherwise they could die. I use heating if the temperature in the house drops below 16 deg C only, which is not often in Durban fortunately. You could also build a purpose made cage for them, but avoid levels and wire that can be climbed, as this can result in injury. Do ensure enough space for a running wheel, hide, pooper tray, food and water containers, and enough space to still run around a bit. They do love to run!
CazOmega
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Other Pets