Mice/Rat breeding

Mice/Rat breeding

Postby Dexter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi I was wondering whether it's better to breed mice or rats as in breeding purposes for my snakes, I'm only planning on breeding about 1 male to 3 females and selling the excess babies. I don't mind the smell because im not keeping the rack inside my house. So I was wondering how often can you breed mice/rats in a year and is there any difference in how fast they breed. Also how many babies do they normally have in a given clutch. Thanks ;)
Dexter
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Mice/Rat breeding

Postby rolandslf » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:37 am

When making this decision you need to look at a few factors.
What size are your snakes.
What size will your snakes grow to.
Dependant on size of the snakes when adult, what will their primary diet be, (Mice or Rats).
Selling of excess is dependant on Market Demands, (In Durban there are plenty Mice, but a shortage of rats).

Clutch sizes are dependant on the age of the Females and Size of Breeeding Enclosure.
Breeding is very frequent, with a new litter every 5 to 6 weeks or so.

I hope I have been of some assistance.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:39 am

i breed both rats and mice.

I prefer mice though, they eat less and breed more readily.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dexter » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:49 pm

I have 5 young corn snakes and they are all busy feeding on fuzzies right now.
Dexter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dexter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Heres an update on the project. I got 3 female mice and 1 male and after about one month my female gave bith to 9 baby mice. Now i have the problem of having to put them down so i can store them in the freezer but im not sure of the best method. I've heard of using baking soda and vinegar but im not sure how effective it is. Is it cruel to put them in the freezer alive, some websites say they go peacefully that way but im not keen on it. Are there any other humane easy ways to do it. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dexter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:05 am

CO2 is the only acceptable way. Just Google it very simple and cheap to diy so no excuses for unnecessary cruelty.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:38 am

Putting pinkies/mice (or anything for that matter) in the freezer is inhumane no matter how you look at it.

My preferred method is a bit violent, but I have found it seems to work well. I place an appropriate sized rod (pencil-sized for adult rodents and a lot smaller for pinks) behind the head of the rodent, on the neck. then give an appropriate weighted whack on the end of the rod with a down a slightly forward component, instantly breaking the rodent's neck.

No blood, but the rodent does twitch a little after the blow. In the beginning you might find you used too little strength so be prepared for a quick second shot if needed, but you will quickly get used to the appropriate weight of the blow.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby TonyK » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:28 am

I see most Petshops around Cape Town are selling the small CO2 cylinders for around R500-R600 so I dont see any reason not to use CO2.All you need is the cylinder a piece of hose pipe and a black bag.I have never refilled my original cylinder and its been a few years of use already.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:15 am

I use the TonyK method.
It is totally Humane, no pain or suffering, and very quick.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:42 am

I agree with you guys the CO2 is the preferred method, but not everyone has the luxury of being in close proximity to a large town/city to get hold of the stuff and many of the young keepers are on a tight budget so need alternative methods.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby TonyK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:46 am

Alternative methods are brutal to say the least .
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby IanM » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:04 pm

SodaStream cylinders are also filled with CO2, find yourself an old sodastream machine, connect a hose the where the gass comes out, macgyver it so you can push the button and there you go... put mice in a plastic bag, or tub with a hole for the hose, put in the hose in and give it a few blasts.
IanM
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Rack systems