Ridleys Tail Rot

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Ridleys Tail Rot

Postby wolf101eln » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:54 am

Good day,

I am hoping to get some advice from the more experienced team members. I have a pair of Ridleys Ratsnakes. I rarely hold the male, due to his bad ass temperament. This week, at feeding time, I noticed that the tip of his tail looks "scorched", but dry.

Any ideas on treating this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wolf101eln
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Ridleys Tail Rot

Postby Westley Price » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What you have there is a common ailment in snakes that occurs when the last tip of the tail is not she and it restricts blood flow to the tail, resulting in the tissue dying.

It's a sign your humidity might be slightly too low. It's also a good idea to always check the tail tip after every shed. If the tail tip is unshed, I used to use olive oil and rub the unshed skin until it slips off.

Now for treatment, you wont be able to save that last tip of the tail as it is dead already. Depending on where you are based, I would take it to a vet for amputation of the dead bit. You could do it yourself, but it is risky and it will bleed a lot as you need to cut into the live tissue to ensure the necrosis stops.

I have done it a few times myself and I am always surprised at the amount of blood flow and how long it takes to stop, so if you have access to a vet, better go that route.

Good luck.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby wolf101eln » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Thank you very much. I'm in East London, so we've got a few vets around.

I do find it extremely strange, as my snakes each have humid hide boxes where they spend most their time.

And offcourse all this happening just as I want to sell them off. Hehehe, Murpy's law.

Take care!
wolf101eln
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Ag, once the tail tip is amputated it will take 2 or 3 shed to heal 100%. Wont hurt the value of the snakes as they'll still be able to breed.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby wolf101eln » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:07 pm

What will happen if I didn't notice it? Does it spread, or simply fall/break off?
wolf101eln
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Depends.

I have seen tails drop off without problems and I have seen it spread, albeit slowly.

But you have to remember that what you see on the outside is not the only issue; the snake could get sepsis which can be fatal.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby wolf101eln » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks. I wasn't looking for a way out of the vet visit. I was just wondering what could happen. This is pure luck that I noticed it. I rarely handle him.
wolf101eln
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wolf101eln » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:51 pm

Good evening,
My male, without having any meal since his last shed, went into the blue again and shed today again.

I took this pic of his tail. I tried to soak the tip and remove the newly stuck piece of skin, but then is tail tip seemed "loose".

I am keeping his this way just for another week as the female will shed in the next few days. I am hoping for him to mate with her before I take him to the vet.
wolf101eln
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wolf101eln » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:54 pm

Shucks. Unable to attach the photo. Getting "internal servwr error" messages.
Perhaps because I am using my phone.
Will upload tomorrow from work.
wolf101eln
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wolf101eln » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Picture edited and attached. Looks like evolution is changing my Ridleys into a Rattlesnake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wolf101eln
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital