A moody woman

A moody woman

Postby Marbro » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:01 am

So i finally got accepted to this site...Thanks admins

now for my first question. I have a yellow ana, bought her in december 2005. Shes around 2m in length already, and i thought i knew her moods. I dont

Lately shes been scaring me alot. Since she was a hatchling,(bought her when she was 4weeks old) ive been able to handle her with no problems, When it looks like shes a tad moody i leave her alone, and when she wants to play i take her out.

For the last 2months, she however has been hissing, biting(got used to it now) and trying to slither away.Like they do on tv,

My question, i know its winter and she might be wanting to sleep for a while. But is this normal?

Her cage is almost always at around 28deg c, and she has more than enough water, i feed her as much as i can, so there is almost never a time taht shes hungry

Ideas?
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:13 am

Hi Marbro, welcome to the site & it's a pleasure. lol

Unfortunately my dealings with Yellow anacondas has not been a pleasant one. I know them as usually being moody. I've only seen 1 "tame" yellow annie.

Anacondas do not "sleep" in winter, so that should not be an issue. Have you changed her cage or anything in her cage? Is there any smells in her cage which might be irretating her? How big is her water bowl? They are known for their love of water & usually spend hours in the water bowl.

How often do you feed her? How often do you try handling her?
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Marbro » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:24 am

i use a 2litre ice cream bowl filled about a third with luke warm water, i place this on an old heatin pad. She fits "snug like a bug in a rug" in it. I have to get a bigger one
i did change the tank slightly a while back about 3months ago i got rid of the moss that was in it, cleaned up her stones and added newspaper.
should i add moss again? the only time she was in it was when she pooped once. never saw her in or near it again or before

i feed her large rats (repti-pets) when they actually have stock. But lately (last month) have had to feed her small mice, She doesnt mind, takes up to 4 small mice at a time no problem,

I used to handle her atleast twice a week, but havent tried in about 4weeks now as she kinda sprayed poop on me last time i did.im assuming thats a defence mechanism she has.

She has never given me a days trouble, apart from escaping once a good couple of months ago. she didnt get far before she fell asleep in my cupboard
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:35 am

Welcome Marbro.

A 2 meter annie eating only 4 small mice? Sounds like she's being underfed. A boid that size should accept 2 large rats easily.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Marbro » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:36 am

under normal circ she does munch more.

But alas the last pet shop visit came up a little.....dry

they were out of everything so i took what i could
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:40 pm

Marbro your snake does not appreciate that there is a shortage of rodents in the market. You will have to look further afield for rats and keep her tummy full.

She should revert to being more placid when she is fed properly.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Marbro » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:06 pm

so you think its just that?

cool. i shall scower the fields for hygenic little buggers.

Thanks guys.
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dee474 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Marbro... what I found with my 2 Annies is that if the temp is OK (30+ degrees Celsius) and they have enough food (2-3 rats per week), they are Ok... no problem to handle them.. I heat their watertank to roughly 32 degrees Celsius .. believe me they are dustbins, they'll keep on eating as if they never have seen food, as if it's a bottomless pit... that's throughout the year.. I regularly take them along as part of the snakeshow and have never had problems as such.. they are lively, but not aggressive... might just be lucky as some people "hate" keeping Annies.
Dee474
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marbro » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:30 pm

last year, around august she stopped eating, for two months. i tried everything besides force feeding

she didnt get agro then, but honestly i didnt mess around with her

she just decided one day to eat again

i must agree about the whole dustbin bit. She wolfs down food like there is no tomorrow and proceeds to poo in everything containing water,

ill have to jack up the temp a little.and then see

i still love her,
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby undignified_001 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:14 am

Are you 100% sure that she is a she and not a he? I know of some who keep annies and they say that when they start reaching sexual maturity, the males can get a bit nippy around the time of breeding season... Only a thought
too many for the sig.......
undignified_001
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marbro » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:10 am

when i bought her, the guy sexed her,

plus for her size at the mo she seems to big to be a man.

shes only about 1 and a half, and already 2m,
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marbro » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:59 am

ok dont mean to drone on, but she is starting to worry me

she got out on sunday, not 100% sure when, but i found her in my cupboard. She was really cold and was moving slow. I put her back in her cage, fixed up the area she got out. And now shes not eating. She throws her water bowl around and hits her head against the glass alot.

I have 4 glass windows in the wooden cage and im worried she breaks one and cuts herself because she was hitting it rather hard
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:28 am

This sounds a bit more serious. I'd take her to a vet asap.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Marbro » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:34 am

its not a continual hitting.
its every now and then, like shes trying to get out.

could it be something in the cage thats pissing her off?
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:32 am

You mean making her upset.

Check the temps. Have you changedor addedanything new to her cage?
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Next

Return to American boas