Copperhead subspecies

Copperhead subspecies

Postby mm069 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi all, this is a request for everyone who has copperheads to post pictures with thier latin names to help me differentiate the subspecies. I have looked allover the internet to try figure out the differences to no avail! I still have no idea how to spot a southern vs. a norhtern.
As some of you may be aware, I have a couple that I might breed one day, but I am concerned that I may breed intergrades, and I don't want to do that. I'd rather be sure. I will also be posting pictures of mine tomorrow as well. Thanks to everyone kind enough to help with this! :D
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:41 pm

Yes it would be interesting to know. I struggle to tell the difference between Northern and southern coppers. Pictigater and laticinctus are easy and obvious.

Maybe some of our American members would shed some light too. Gregg? Phobos? etc
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby mm069 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:46 pm

I'm sure our american friends will be a little more clued up than we are in this regard. I am sure they will be able to help us!
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:03 pm

how is the easiest way to tell the differnce?
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hellemar » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi...

I´m not american, but I have worked a lot with copperheads, so I will look for some nice pics of copperheads and do some paintings on them to show the differences... I don´t know if I have nice pictures, so if any of you guys have some nice pics that I can use I would appreciate it...
If you have any, or are able to take some pics, that I can use, I would like some pics taken from the side and from underneath... Mail your pics to:

henrik[at]orangereptiles.se
replace [at] with @

Henke :)
Survival is the only game worth winning...
Hellemar
SA Reptiles Support

Postby rthomse » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:16 am

I have all five subspecies.If I can figure out how to use my new camera and post, I'll be glad to.Also could anyone get me some information and husbandry on the Paranaja multifaciata?
rthomse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:35 am

Hi and welcome rthomse.

I have only ever seen one picture of a living Paranaja multifaciata. It was taken by Wolfgang Wuster who is on these forums too. It seems to be rare. Do you have any?
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby rthomse » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:15 am

how the devil do I attach my photos?? I just took pic of all 5 . Side by side its pretty easy
rthomse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:25 am

`
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby mm069 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:58 am

Guys i messed up my camera lastnight! I'll borrow one and post some pics as soon as I have some. sorry!
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rthomse » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:24 pm

Heres the link . I Mixed up the Broadband and the Northern but all 5 are here:http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/thumbnails-9-page-18.html

Hi Rthomse, I took the liberty of displaying your pictures here. Please tell me if I have incorrectly added the wrong name to a photograph somewhere. Thanks - pythonodipsas.

Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen):

Southern Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix):

Osage Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix phaeogaster):

Broadbanded Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix laticinctus):

Trans-Pecos Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix pictagaster):
rthomse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:38 am

Thanks and welcome Rthomse, excellent post!
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby mania » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:06 pm

My copperhead looks like it has a bit of all the above except the Osage Copperhead, And most probably does
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hellemar » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:18 am

Hi...

If you don´t catch your own copperhead and know it´s origin, it´s very hard to know what you´ve got... And when it comes to youngsters it´s still hard to tell... But if you know how adults look like, then it´s much easier to tell the difference...

Henke :)
Survival is the only game worth winning...
Hellemar
SA Reptiles Support

Postby rthomse » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:27 am

The Osage was just going opaque at time of photo. The strange thing is I could have bought three Puff Adders for what I paid for him. All of these are CBB with the exception of the Northern. He and she are wild caught.
rthomse
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to North American pitvipers (Agkistrodon sp.)