Global warming

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Postby armata » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:42 pm

Yes oilseed rape is thirsty.

methane, pigshit, thats the way to go!!
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby WW » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:25 pm

The other problelm with biofuels is habitat loss - they have to be grown in addition to what we need to feed people. The first big push for biofuels, Brazil's campaign to use alcohol instead of petrol, cost us 96% of the Brazilian Atlantic forest, one of the world's major biodiversity hotspots, which was turned into sugarcane plantations.

Unfortunately, a lot of alternative so-called solutions are anything but.

Take electric cars - fanatstic, no pollution, no nothing. Where does the electricity come from? Out of the wall socket, so that's alright then... NOT! All it means is that energy has to be converted from one form into another twice (fossil fuel into electricity, then electricity into motion), which wastes far more than simply converting the fossil fuel directly into motion.

Ditto with hydrogen fuel cells. How do you make hydrogen? You pass electricity through water. How do you make electricity? It comes out of the wall socket...

You get the drift...

Sadly, the main remedy will have to be that we all need to get used to using less energy, especially those of us in Europe and N. America

Cheers,

WW
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:33 am

VIVA the flintstones, they had a car and the only damage it done was to their feet...
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Discussions