PET SHOP STORIES

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

PET SHOP STORIES

Postby mm069 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:53 pm

Ok everyone, here is an opportunity to share all your funny, amusing, embarrasing, stiupid, annoying, frustrating pet shop stories. I am sure most have at least one. I'll tell mine later... ha ha! :lol:

Punctuation fixed.

[Please don't mention the names of parties involved.]
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Walked into a pet store once where there were some rather big iguanas for sale. A lady came in and enquired about them. The man who assisted gracefully informed her that they make stunning loving pets and that they hardly ever show aggression and will never attempt to bite. I found this very strange because only a minute or two before this I was admiring one of the bigger males and he was all but friendly with me staring at him so I walked over and asked the man if he would mind taking out the big male for me as I would like to buy it but I just wanted to see if he is healthy and everything. The woman standing with him got all excited. He looked at me for a minute and moved over the their enclosure. He asked which one I would like to see and I politely pointed at grumpy in the back. If looks could kill. He opened the cage and reached for the male who lashed him with the tail and rushed him with mouth wide open. The assistant tried to push him back into the cage but somehow got the iguana attached to his left had. The woman obviously was no longer interested in the animal.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby mm069 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:24 pm

Sorry about the bad punctuation... I was once offered a WDB rattler 'hatchling'...
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

yellow anaconda

Postby gaboon69 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:02 pm

Man o man--as a kid I once walked into a petshop contemplating getting my first anaconda-(back then I use to sell cow cr@p in bags for lawns).Was all excited and stuff :lol:
I reached for a subadult and left the petshop with a pale face and a bloody hand.
Decided that Id rather keep the cow cr@p money to spend on something else.

:D :D good old memories
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby EDDY » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:35 am

Ok so Ive been working in a petstore since 2004 so I have seen some funny stuff.

But the best one I must tell you. We got this new guy working for us so he didnt really know all the snakes so well. He was busy cleaning the cages and this little girl came in with her parents and she wanted to hold a snake.

I was busy with other stuff so she and her parents were talking to my guy that was busy cleaning cages. While I was busy doing something I just heard this little crying but oh so loud. When I looked I saw my guy gave her a Yellow Anaconda to hold and the thing nailed her on the finger.

Her parents got a bit histerical and paranoid. They just wanted to know if it is venomous, if she is going to get a headache and if they need to take her to the hospital.

Well I explained to them its not venomous etc and im very sorry. The little girl didnt want to stop crying so I just took a piece of paper towel with some savlon and wiped her finger and told her she will be fine.
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:34 am

EDDY if you were in the States you would have lost the shop as a result of the law suit for damages.

I know of another person who was not that clued up. He was trying to impress some blonde girls who had come to the shop. They were interested in a milksnake. He opened the cage with the Cape Coral snake instead.

He could not understand why the snake was biting him because he told them how gentle the milksnakes are. They left (without the snake) and he put it back.

He phoned the owner and asked why it was burning and he felt light headed. After about 3 questions they realised he had been envenomated. He went to the hospital and spent the next two days there. He showed some strange symptoms as well but recovered nicely. He now keeps his glasses with him and reads what is on the label before taking anything out.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Nasicornis » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:45 pm

Sounds like that guy got the request mixed up. They asked "Can we see you handle the milksnake?" He heard "Can we see you milk a snake?"
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby EDDY » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:20 am

BV I heard that story before and I know who the guy was and what shop.
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kristo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:04 pm

Yet another sad story.......
At a certain pet store, one which I am far too connected too,
works a young man who truely tops the pile!
One day,while at the shop, I heard the unmistakable sound of a rabbit in distress, being it a store that sells reptiles, I assumed it was feeding time for one of the large burms! I later found out that the rabbit was infact being injected with lemmon juice in an effort to get the snake some vit C of all things!?!

Another story involving this guy tells of a customer and his baby boa, purchased at the shop.........
The man brought his snake back about two weeks later saying it hadnt eaten since he bought it and was worried about it! The snake was also struggling to shed a few patches skin.
This clever shop manager, put the baby snake in a container full of warm water to loosen things up.......... not such a bad idea except the water I believe was way too warm and deep!
The snake had drowned within the hour! Much to the surprise of our petshop friend! The customer was as you can imagine quite upset and was offered another young snake at cost which equated to exactly R200 more than hed paid for the one just destroyed!

I told the shop manager that he should replace the snake without charging as he was responsable for its drownig!.......Thats wen he dropped the ultimate $#!t head line ever!!

"Thats impossible!!......Snakes cant drown they float!! Its not my fault!!"

Now thats a pet shop moron with a capitall P.........for PRICK!!
"The prey equals in importance to the preditor and the preditor to that of the prey!"
Kristo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:23 am

A few months back there was a young girl of around 6 years old with her mother. They were standing at the counter looking at one of the parrots and the girl had her back to me.
I was busy repairing a box with that thick box tape. Anyways as i pulled another strip it made the typical screeching sound its always does, and this little girl started screaming hysterically and flung herself into her mothers arms. She got such a fright. It was like one of those video clips that go around via email.
You had to be there.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Sis Rob, you have probably scarred this little girl for life.

I hope she does not become one of those people who never wants anyone to have a pet animal just because of what you did to her.

I hope you did the right thing and calmed her down.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Cimeries » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:24 pm

I had a guy told me that leopard geckos do not need water as they are desert reptiles and that misting them once a week is more than enough water.He also told me that its pointless putting a water bowel in for them as they don't know what to do with it.
Cimeries
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:04 pm

BV - Her mom laughed so hard i started feeling bad for the girl.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sebae » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:32 pm

About a year ago I had just moved so I tried a new pet shop too buy mealworms, the guy asked me what it was for so I told him it was for my leopard geckos... long story short he almost wouldn't sell it to me "because a mealworm WILL eat its way out of a juvinile gecko and kill it".
Even after i told him that I'd raised over a hundred geckos on a almost exclusive mealworm diet he still insisted,
so had to tell him I will only feed them to my adults before he would sell it to me... :lol:
If you think you're to small to make an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room.
Sebae
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:47 am

Sebae what would you know. Do you think successfully raising a few hundred geckos makes you an expert?

Did you not know that geckos swallow the food whole together with a big gulp of air and an antacid tablet to make sure the mealworm survives long enough to burrow out of the gecko before he can even regurgitate it.

I even heard this same story over the weekend, and that originated from a petshop too. I just shook my head and bit my lip.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to General Discussions