Naja naja (Sri Lanka)

Naja naja (Sri Lanka)

Postby herpaworld » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:44 pm

in my opinion, the most beautiful naja naja´s you can found, are the sri lanka population.

all the pictures show my breeding male. the picture was taken by mark cox, good fellow australian snake-lover and photographer.

please don´t do that at home, this picture was taken, during a photo-shooting for a specialty about "the reptileman" the snake is hot and i have more than 25 years experience in handling venomous snakes.

hope you like the animal.

cheers
Mario
Zoological Institute of HerpaWorld inc.
Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro
Philippines
www.herpaworld.com
http://venomland.forumotions.com
herpaworld
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:17 pm

I'm speechless.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby xerophak » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:05 pm

spectacular,
then for my I believe that few replace typical naja naja, is the cobra of always.

thanks for those photos...
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:47 am

I have a huge female and a small male which looks almost identical to yours here. This colour variety is without a doubt the prettiest of all the Naja naja specimens.

Would the size difference be a problem if I put them together? The male is old enough but he just never grew big. I would hate to have the female eat him because I could not replace him. I know they love eating other snakes but will they eat their own kind as easily too?

Just a comment. I know these snakes are way too intelligent to just bite but I see he has wrapped his tail around your wrist. That scares me because when I want to put it down quickly it can still hang on.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby snakepeter » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:49 pm

Bushviper wrote:I have a huge female and a small male which looks almost identical to yours here. This colour variety is without a doubt the prettiest of all the Naja naja specimens.

Would the size difference be a problem if I put them together? The male is old enough but he just never grew big. I would hate to have the female eat him because I could not replace him. I know they love eating other snakes but will they eat their own kind as easily too?

Just a comment. I know these snakes are way too intelligent to just bite but I see he has wrapped his tail around your wrist. That scares me because when I want to put it down quickly it can still hang on.

Hello...

as we talked already sooner, I wouldn`t be worry that female east your male. We have, as you know, opposite situation with male almost 2 meters long, and females approx. half of it (from 4 we have 2 are bigger and 2 smaller). We never had any experience with male trying to east small female, although they stay in one cage several weeks...

Keep us posted how it goes over you with Naja naja mating... I wish you all the best in it...

Best regards,
Peter
snakepeter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mongoose » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:57 pm

Bushviper wrote:Just a comment. I know these snakes are way too intelligent to just bite but I see he has wrapped his tail around your wrist. That scares me because when I want to put it down quickly it can still hang on.

Quite a few years back, my dad grabbed a Capey and while he was holding it, it decided to reverse. It managed to get a coil around his wrist and it started reversing faster. Luckily I brought a pillow case just in time, I untwsited the tail and we bagged it.

You can never be too careful.
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby froot » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:26 pm

Amazing specimen Herpaworld, thanks for sharing.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby herpaworld » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:16 am

Bushviper wrote:I have a huge female and a small male which looks almost identical to yours here. This colour variety is without a doubt the prettiest of all the Naja naja specimens.

i only keep them, for 8 months every year as breeding group 1,3 together and i dont find so far any aggressions. but the snakes are about the same size. anyway, peter is right, i wouldn't be worried so much. how old is the mail, if i might ask?

for the handling, like i was saying before, everyone has his own technics to work with animals. if you watch the picture closely , you will see the tail is not complete wrapped around my wrist.
Philippines
www.herpaworld.com
herpaworld
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:30 am

Thanks for all the responses. My male is about 7 years old but he was sick for a long time and during that time he did not grow.

Mario what I meant was that when the cobras wrap their tails I start to get nervous. I can see it is not all the way around. I have even had it where they get up to the elbow and then suddenly jerk pulling the head right through your hand. Because of that I am extra careful about the tails. I am not judging your handling technique at all.

Mario does Sri Lanka allow exports of cobras for commercial purposes? I cannot understand why there are not more of this colour and pattern available because it is truly stunning.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby herpaworld » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:43 pm

@ BV

honestly i dont know the export rules right now in sri lanka. the wildlife acts are changing always, and get involved only if i like to get some animals from a special location. i also dont know why the sri lankan najas are not so common. they breed well and in europe you can find the, i think rather regular.

cheers
Philippines
www.herpaworld.com
herpaworld
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)