Tongue shedding

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Tongue shedding

Postby rubida » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Thought everyone might find this interesting. On Wednesday I noticed this hanging from the labial notch of our Thai cobra. (Photographing it turned out a bit tricky and unfortunately the one fork point broke off.)
I have heard about snakes shedding their tongues, but this is the first time I have ever seen it myself.
For the love of African wildlife
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:19 pm

Wow! I have never heard of this before, nor have I ever seen a tongue like shedding. Perhaps they tend to be swallowed when shed?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:29 pm

Now that is a sight I have never seen before. Not in real life or even a photograph of this.

Not too many people will believe you when you tell them what it is.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby rubida » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:25 pm

Now you must know how surprised I was when I saw it…my assistant reptile keeper gazed at it for hours! Just mad we lost the one forked point as it dropped onto the floor…and being dropped on a grey painted floor doesn’t help much in finding it again :evil:

Will asked armata to do a better photo over the weekend with one of his fancy anti-vibration lenses.
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Wow I have never seen or heard of this. Have you heard if the toungues can grow back or not.

I had a baby Iberian viper (V.l.gaditana) with no toungue. It could never sense food and never ate. I continuously force fed it and it subsequently died.

Hope your Thai cobra is gonna be ok.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby rubida » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:16 pm

Pythonodipsas:

The Tai cobra is 100%...flicking its tongue like any healthy snake does. He also ate on friday afternoon. Have you seen when they sometimes shed their hemipenis?
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:14 am

I have seen Varanus niloticus shed the skin on its tongue.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:54 am

wow :shock:
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:33 pm

I have seen a few snakes that have lost tongues. The one had the forks nipped off in a sliding door. The tongue eventually grew back but the snake had a black tongue with white tips.

While the tips were off the snake did not feed but once they had regrown the snake fed like it always had.

I have never heard of a snake that was hatched or born without a tongue that ever fed on its own or survived. Snakes without eyes and that have survived are quite common.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to General Discussions