New Plastic Cages

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

New Plastic Cages

Postby BWSmith » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:26 pm

So far, I am pretty impressed with these cages. One of the doors is a bit cattywompus, but that is not bad out of 14 total doors. Better than i could have done. This order is to replace this unit:

This thing is 8' long and made out of 3/4" particle board and weighs 800 pounds empty. It was my first caging unit and is about 10 years old. Past its prime and time to retire. From the picture you can't tell that it was starting to call apart. And then the rubber mallet helped it along :)

Between mounting the casters and flexwatt, setting up the new cages, setting up timers and light wiring, setting up the thermostat and heat wiring, preparing the cages for occupants, moving animals, dismantling the other caging unit, hauling it to the curb, and cleanup ..... I think it took around 10 hours. Figures it was the first weekend my wife decided it was cool enough that we didn't need the air conditioner on. But the final product turned out great.

I had not bought cages in so long that I forgot how much it costs even after you bring the cages home. These all came with built in lights and the flexwatt was already wired (not mounted) so one would think that it is just plug and go. There is over $200 worth of "stuff" that went into getting all of those set up. Casters may only be $8 each, but that starts to add up. Plus all new powerstrips mounted to the rear. Those two stacks have a total of 26 wires! Getting everything organized and set up properly the first time makes life a whole lot easier down the road. All of that nickel and dime stuff starts to really add up.

But the boas seem to be really enjoying it. well, as much as a boa can enjoy a cage.
BWSmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snow » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:36 pm

nice cages man,

if only we could get nice plastic cages here in SA it would make peoples lives alot more easier, my wooden cages are due for an upgrade soon cause they have warped and buckled from the constant moisture, and come on when 4m python urinates its not just a wet spot the cage is soaked.

come S.A herper one of you must know someone that has connection in the plastic business ;)
Keep it real !
Snow
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:37 pm

Looking very nice BW. Hope your beasties will be happy with them.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby hafnon » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:59 pm

Snow wrote:come S.A herper one of you must know someone that has connection in the plastic business ;)

I have a plastic solution...Its just a bit like lego at this stage :oops: when next are you this side of the world?
hafnon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snow » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:26 pm

hey man i still dig lego,

not sure then i will be that side but i will give you a shout when im there.
Keep it real !
Snow
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinF » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:45 pm

I think that we will catch up here in SA one day :lol: . Plastic makes a lot more sense. No more varnishing, warping and stains.

Thanks for sharing...
Can you really do that? Well, I just did!
Add me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profi ... ef=profile
ColinF
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:13 pm

Yip the plastic makes far more sense. It might not insulate the way wood does and burns as easily as the other cages but if it is lighter and lasts longer I am all for it.

BW are those cages the final cages for those animals or will you have to upgrade cages some time in the future? That is a nice excuse to fill the "empty" ones again. Why do some have double doors if the inside looks like the same dimensions?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:19 am

Could I please have the boa in the bottom left hand cage. Looks nice. You got any pics? Please!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Gabi » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:31 am

Very nice cages!!

I'd prefer being able to upgrade to plastic tanks too. They must be alot more user-friendly and for reptiles that need a higher humidity much more longer lasting.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Dentech » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:52 am

Very nice cages.
I think that with the reptile trade expanding as it is in SA, it might start to get worthwile for plastic manufacturers to look into making cages.
Dentech
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby werner » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:57 pm

Very nice BW, I also want plastic cages.......we must make a plan!
werner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby feri » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:03 pm

plastics wud be lekker. maybe BW can send us a few, lets see what they are like first hand.
feri
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BWSmith » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:42 pm

Bushviper wrote:Yip the plastic makes far more sense. It might not insulate the way wood does and burns as easily as the other cages but if it is lighter and lasts longer I am all for it.

BW are those cages the final cages for those animals or will you have to upgrade cages some time in the future? That is a nice excuse to fill the "empty" ones again. Why do some have double doors if the inside looks like the same dimensions?

Actually, the plastic insulates better than the wood in my opinion and does not really burn. Here, plastics have to be fire rated to some degree or another. The material is called Sintra which is an expanded PVC.

These are the final cages for my herp room. No more upgrading for a while. But this is just the first order. I have at least two more this size to replace all of my existing caging. Over 60 snakes takes up alot of room. Empty cages are not a problem :)

The bottom ones are a bit taller for better viewing. Those are side hinged doors because down hinged would hit the floor. They also have removable dividers so that I can feed separately if I have snakes breeding. It also adds more stability since they are the bottom cages. The top ones also have removable dividers. I did it this way so that they are more versitile and I can use them as a singel 4' cage or two 2' cages. Why even bother getting 2' cages?
BWSmith
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping