Copperheads

Postby Georgen » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:40 pm

anyway they are really nice animals! :) my pair was like that when they were babies now they are darker and verry nice colored the only bad is that the tail is dark green now but never mind they are interest snake to keep i love them! :)
Georgen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Contortrix » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Bushviper..

Yeah, determin copperheads are really a pain in the ass. As long as they are not wildcaught with location it's allmost impossible to say what ssp they are or if even crossbreeds.
Atheist.
Contortrix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rthomse » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:12 am

I posted photos in the gallery of all 5 subspecies,which I currently have 8 total specimens. 1.1 Northern,1.2 Osage,1.1 Broadband,0.1 Southern and 1.0 Transpecos. Side by side it's easy . It's like the Neotropical Rattlesnake Crotalus durrissus . They look the same but side by side the difference is very apparent
rthomse
SA Reptiles Member

copperhead

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:08 pm

Merged

I've never kept any venomous snakes (mainly non-venomous snakes and large constrictors and lizards) , but have always had a soft spot for Gaboon Vipers and specially copperheads, And i see that copperheads are actually very affordable and available (as are gaboon vipers).

Can i get some advise from people keeping these species, on handling, care, housing, do you keep an anti venom etc

I know these questions must be so lame to most of you, but remember you all started at where i am now ;)
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:52 pm

Firstly you might wan't to decide as to which of the two you would prefer and go from there as they are quite different to each other in certain ways and depending upon the setup care will vary. Also are you referring to gaboons (Bitis gabonica) or rhinocerous vipers (Bitis rhinoecrous, formerly known as west african gaboons)?

I keep both and both are really nice display animals. Gaboons tend to handle better on a hook than most copperheads (although there are exceptions to this rule). Also depending upon the size of the animal (especially with gaboons and rhinocerous vipers) handling equipment may change as the snake gets larger. Housing may also vary from animal to animal, my female B gabonica is now quite contempt to an audience present while being fed whereas my male will not go near the food while the lights are on and people are watching.

Personally I do not keep AV at home mostly due to the fact that it expires and can be quite expensive although it is never a bad idea to consider something like that.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:52 pm

Buck we have debated the keeping of copperheads and i think the husbandry has been pretty well agreed upon. Search for the word copperhead and then work your way through that. There will also be other aspects you might not have thought about.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:06 pm

thanks alot guys=)
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Copperheads

Postby Graeme » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:53 pm

This is a very old post, but since the original specimens come from me, I feel that I should comment. By way of books by Chris Mattison (several) , John Mehrtens ( yes, its old ) and various other South Eastern and South- Mid-Western United States field guides, I think that It's pretty simple to see the difference between the four subspieces. No doubt that there are thousands doing the rounds that carry several traits, once again coming down to the fact that Copperheads will mate with anything. The way I see it, is that the brilliantly orange adult individuals with symetricall crossbands that show very little curve or 'hourglass' markings, and that are breeding productively at 40cms, are definitely Southerns. Anything bigger or browner that comes our way, gets given away. I think I can speak in confidence with regards to 8 or 9 years of breeding this specific type and hope that there is no more confusion surrounding our non-Trans-Pecos/het for Broad banded come Northern Neighbours.

Most people cannot take a photo of a snake and do it justice, I am one of them.
Please think before you criticise.

Both these snakes are tiny but the female that is in shed, drops no less than 12 babies every year.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:33 pm

im guessing those are broadbanded?? how big are your females coz mine is 65cm or so but she will be ready next year to breed. my male is a broadbanded and he is a real tank, just over 1m long
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:20 pm

Thats a southern copperhead.

Which is mostly what we have available in south africa. when we're talking about pure breds and not the mongrels you often get.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to North American pitvipers (Agkistrodon sp.)