"Leatherback" Beardie!

"Leatherback" Beardie!

Postby Leos r gr8 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi
I was browsing a beardie site and I came across this!

How gross
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Beetle_Juice » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:11 pm

i personally think that is disgusting and the parson that created that morph should be shot.....must have been the result of mass inbreeding and they thought it looked cool
Beetle_Juice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MV » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:17 pm

In a weird sort of way...*thinking about next statement*...he actually looks appealing to me.
*decision made*
Yea, I like it...
Yes, his hindlegs looks like a frogs hind legs, his eyes kinda reminds me of chameleon eyes,
not to metion the fact that he's totally scaleless and looks like an amphibian....other than that, he's awesome!!!
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MV » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:39 pm

Leatherbacks

"Leatherbacks are dragons that have an absence or reduction of tubercles (rough scales) on the dragons back which give them a leathery appearance. There have been very few of these hatched in captivity; making these extremely rare. We occasionally hatch leatherbacks from a variety of our lines, but have not had success in reproducing the trait with the 'flukes' we've produced in the past.

There is also a private breeder in California who consistently produces leatherback dragons from what is believed to be a recessive mutation. These offspring were available through Amazon Reptile Center for a period of time last year.

Late 2006 we had an opportunity to import a new line of Co-dominant Leatherback dragons from a private breeder in Italy. These leatherback dragons are really cool looking with minimal tubercles and reduced scale size througout their body. When an Italian Leatherback is bred with a normally scaled dragon, the offspring result in approximately 1/2 regular scaled and 1/2 leatherback. In our experiences, this form of tubercle reduction is consistent and does not produce "partial" leatherbacks. In addition to reproduction predictably, these leatherbacks are actually a visible HET for a super form - A scaleless...AKA "Silkback" dragon.
The leatherback dragons do not need any additional care when compared to a normal dragon. The scales are present, just reduced. "

Silkback

"The scaleless or "Silkback" dragon is a result of breedng 2 Co-dominant leatherback dragons together. Silkback dragons do not have scales or tubercles on their backs or ventral sides. The lateral spines are also absent from these animals. With the absence of scales, the actual coloration of the animal is much more vibrant."

I don't think its been inbreeded...
I don't wanna start a debate about this, but what would you guys say?
In my eyes, its just another morph, you get one that carries this gene and keep breeding with it...as long as there is a demand for morphs, there will always BE morphs...and the possibillities are endless.

Well, thats just my oppinion...
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:01 pm

I don't know hey. Its one thing messing with the genes for colour etc but when you start messing with the physiology of the animal I'm not sure its a good thing. After all Beardies evolved their scales for a reason.
Corns : 1.1 Adult Normals het Anery, 0.1 Adult Normal, 1.1 Adult Ghosts (Striped & Aztec), 1.1 Ghost motley het Snow, 1.1 Adult Lavender, 1.1 Adult Opal, 1.1 Adult Amel Motley, 1.1 Bloodreds Het Pewter, Phantom & Hypo; 1.1 Butter; Adult 0.1 Vanishing Stripe; 0.1 Snow. Pythons : 1.1 Ball Pythons
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MV » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:18 pm

wich is true, I won't argue that.

Although, what's the reason for the Koala eating Eucalyptus leaves...wich is poisonous and ison of the main reasons for their short life span.

Okay, that actually doesn't have anything to do with the issue,was just reading about it and wanted to share the informaton. :oops:
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:24 pm

I think its exactly the same as messing with colouration.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm with Spoon. This is not a beardie it's a frog with a tail, I would think it would have problems with the sun and not to mention how easy it would bee for escaped crickets to nibble away at his flesh. Its fine, enhancing reptiles colors to be more asthetically pleasing but when you start removing parts of the reptiles physiology you have SERIOUS issues!
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MV » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:51 pm

Okay guys, I'm sorry,

This is what I got off a Beardie Forum...

kirby wrote:
"the EXTREME amount of inbreeding needed for this is absolutely ridiculous..

I can most confidently say her parents were NOT 'normal' the original was from two highely inbred 'italian leatherbacks' and there were a few deformed through inbreeding to look like this. this would be the offspring from two from that clutch.. its horrible..

diachu created them... http://www.dachiu.com/gallery/pix3.html

i feel extremely sorry for that poor dragon. the amount of death and deformities through inbreeding to make that poor derormed animal is horrendous. inbreeding is risky extra leggs, heads arms (twins) as diachu calls them... all behind closed doors... inbreedign should be classified as animal cruelty. daichu know exactly what there doing, and all in the search for colours, scaleless creature, and MONEY $$$$$$

it IS very interesting, but i would rather not fuel the fire and support this pet trade...

it is NOT genetic mutation.. nothing scientific was done to make this... simply YEARS of purposefull inbreeding..."

So apparently they were inbred, I went to the site, but can't find any info on how EXACTLY they produced these. But when this guy(kirby) posted this message there seemed to have been a whole essay on how they inbred and produced these Silkbacks...and yes, it is revolting!!!

So, sorry guys...EISH!!!

But I will stand by my point, I like the 'Silkback'...
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:26 pm

To produce new colour morphs there's also a certain amount of in breeding involved. Sometimes its taking a bit far because the guys want to produce these mutations the short way instead of the healthier longer route. Its the same with scaleless puff adders and rattler's etc.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:13 pm

IMO its digusting.. Why cant we just enjoy a species for what it is without having to change it completly.. There are already many morphs to enjoy - why do we have to take away their scales and spikes? I have read that thread and there are special needs that these dragons like different lightning.. Its just not right :( But again - just my opinion
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Michelle » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:41 am

Oh my word! What is with these people!
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Re: "Leatherback" Beardie!

Postby AshSmulian » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Leos r gr8 wrote:Hi
I was browsing a beardie site and I came across this!

How gross

That isn't a Leatherback by the way. That is a Silky. Leatherbacks have minimal scales and spikes. Silkies have no scales and spikes at all.
1.0 Normal Ball Python

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
― Anatole France
AshSmulian
SA Reptiles Member

Re:

Postby AshSmulian » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Spoon wrote:I don't know hey. Its one thing messing with the genes for colour etc but when you start messing with the physiology of the animal I'm not sure its a good thing. After all Beardies evolved their scales for a reason.

Yeah, the reason being for living in the wild.
1.0 Normal Ball Python

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
― Anatole France
AshSmulian
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)