Crested Gecko Questions

Crested Gecko Questions

Postby GeckoGirl » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi All,

I've read quite alot since I got my crested gecko but there does seem to be conflicting information out there and the more I read the more paranoid I get! Just love the little guy SOOO much and want him to be happy and healthy, so I was hoping someone here with experience could help me out a little with a few questions I have:

1. I am using sphagnum moss as a substrate (removing all little twigs etc. before putting it into the vivarium)...is there any danger of impaction when using this substrate and is there something else I should be using?
2. When feeding him crickets should I be removing him from his tank and feeding him in a seperate container?
3. I am currently mixing Crested Gecko diet with Purity...and occasionally feeding fresh fruit puree mixed with it. Is there any problem in doing this or should I be feeding pure Crested Gecko diet only? Also, I have this available to him every day...is that fine?
4. How often should Crested geckos shed? I read that they become lighter in colour before they shed...is this true?
5. Is anyone here keeping a natural vivarium with live plants? If so, do you have any tips for these? Currently have synthetic plants but was thinking Mac might be happier with real ones when I buy a bigger enclosure for him.

If anyone can help me with any of these questions and ease my mind a little I'd really appreciate it!
GeckoGirl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Michelle » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi there.

Sorry but I have no experience with crested's so I cant help but would love to see some pics!
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trayton » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:07 pm

1.If they like humidity spaghnum moss is perfect!
2.Don't worry about removing him to feed,he will feed fine in his own tank,but it does help in that you handle him more.
3.Your food mix is perfect!you also obviously give him some crix now and then to?
4.That i have no clue...in fact the only geckos of mine i've ever seen shed are the leo's i used to have and my African fat tails...
5.i currently have chineese bamboo and a fern in my tank with some wierd air plant thing...just leave the plants in their pots and put a mixture of potting soil and river around them to cover up the pots.
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:30 am

Hi Geckogirl,

I think Trayton cleared up most of the answers. I am sure you substrate is fine. Potting soil and mixture with peat and coco fibre seem to be a good mix. I use paper towel but is not really appealing. I will send you some more info.

Mixing the diet in with the fruit is fine and you can feed cricket dusted with calcium twice a week or so. I find most will eat crickets where every they are placed. I have fed some by hand and they take it readily. Also they like the diet mixed with peach juice more than with water.

I find they are darker before shedding but it's hard to tell as they change between light and dark. They lighten up at night when they are active. They also eat there skin so you can't tell when they have shed.

I have had about a hundred of these little guys and haven't lost one. They do really well as long as their requirements are met which is not too difficult. I am sure you will enjoy your new crested.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kay » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:44 am

Trayton wrote:5.i currently have chineese bamboo and a fern in my tank with some wierd air plant thing...just leave the plants in their pots and put a mixture of potting soil and river around them to cover up the pots.

A question - I assume you can buy plants from any nursery? How do you guarantee that they are pesticide free? I have wanted to try this in my T enclosures, but am too scared that it would do more harm than good.

And Geckogirl - post some pics already!
Kay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GeckoGirl » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks Trayton and Bjorn for your answers, I really appreciate it and I'm breathing a little easier now :D

Michelle and Kay, I'll post some pics this week-end when I can get hold of a camera and have Mac sit still long enough to have his picture taken!!!
GeckoGirl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trayton » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:06 pm

A question - I assume you can buy plants from any nursery? How do you guarantee that they are pesticide free? I have wanted to try this in my T enclosures, but am too scared that it would do more harm than good

Um...i didn't...just ask i guess.
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GeckoGirl » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 pm

Managed to take pics of Mac tonight, here he is:

Does anyone think he looks too thin? He is eating nicely and ate 2 crickets after these photos were taken.
GeckoGirl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:57 pm

no he is not too thin...they are quite skinny looking towards the rear naturally.
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kay » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:27 am

aaaaawwwwww - that is the cutest little thing!! I love his expression in the last pic! Very nice little dude!
Kay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:29 am

He is very cute.
I gave him the crickets and held the one in front of him and he jumped forward to grab it from my fingers and grabbed my finger as well. Weird feeling.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Michelle » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:21 pm

He is lovely!
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herco » Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm

very cute! does anybody know where to get a crested gecko in sa?
herco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Klippies » Mon May 26, 2008 9:13 pm

My local pet shop has a few for R1750 each, im very very tempted to get me one they are way to cute.
Klippies
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Crested Gecko Questions

Postby DmD » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:31 am

Hey everyone

Really cute crestie could all the crested gecko keepers please post pictures of your setups.

Many Thanks DmD
JUST DO IT
DmD
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Geckos