How to Slurry Leos with Severe MBD ...

How to Slurry Leos with Severe MBD ...

Postby Spikelet » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:58 am

For those that wanted to know and those that didn’t This is the step by step from my Repvet and my handlings at home ...

Ok step by step feeding the slurry to the leo babies, Leia is in the mix to make sure she is getting her calcium and I will do her once a week to keep her calcium up ...

The slurry bowl, this one is a mixture of hills cat food tin, calcium and a touch of water however I have made and frozen a slurry of hills, water, calcium and blended silkworms – smells disgusting and don’t use our ice cube trays

The slurry consistency, notice it is all smooth ..

Holding Crinkly Angel, I let her think my thumb is a log and she clings to it while she eats … Note I am only holding her down on the top of her back and not touching her tail as I don’t want her to drop it … Also you can see her broken back leg here - :?

The first drop of slurry, wwwaaaaaiiiiitttt but once she starts licking it it goes down well …

When she gets feisty she gets this hold with more pressure on the top than on the tail – take your thumb and pull it down under her chin to expose her jaw and split her lips, then jam syringe in gently and pry open the very rubbery jaws, once open squirt slurry in, stroke under chin to let slurry go down ..

The bottom of the forced feeding hold – see all gentle down below and mainly gentle pressure on the head

Being good again

Ok and now rexs turn, he is a big boy …

His slurry beard and his very bent front left arm …

His very broken front right arm

This is leia and this is her first slurrying so she is not at all impressed … - dribble on the nose and using the watch out hold – put thumb under chin in this hold and pull back or down the leo body to expose the lips and jaw, syringe in and squirt … (all done gently ... )

This is her response to this indignity! Humph! But she is licking madly so hopefully next time will be easier and she will lick! (the follow up slurry a week later was a breeze and she licked it all up :D )

Sorry couldn’t get me syringing pics as at home on my own – well ... I am not sure how good a 6 year old is gonna be at pointing a camera

Hope that helps with your slurry issues and good luck …
'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner' Bilbo Baggins
Spikelet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:53 am

Shame man. Poor kids (geckos).

Thanks for the info. It can really be helpful in the future.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Spikelet » Fri May 16, 2008 5:04 pm

is it possible for one of the mods to turn this into a sticky?
'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner' Bilbo Baggins
Spikelet
SA Reptiles Member

Re: How to Slurry Leos with Severe MBD ...

Postby Pseudogekko » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:25 am

One question, why cat food? Great thread!
Pseudogekko - Gecko Fanatic!
Pseudogekko
SA Reptiles Member

Re:

Postby HelloWorld » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Spikelet wrote:is it possible for one of the mods to turn this into a sticky?

I second this too :) These things are important to know
HelloWorld
In loving memory

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)