Bearded Dragons in cape town?

Bearded Dragons in cape town?

Postby leighroomes » Wed May 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Does anyone have Bearded Dragons in cape town?I would kill for one they rock.
leighroomes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed May 21, 2008 12:48 pm

If they did I doubt they'd advertise the fact on here, they're illegal in the cape.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed May 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Leigh, if anyone has these in CT they would be illegal as Capenature doesnt allow Bearded Dragons in the Western Cape. The reason is that they are from too similar habitat and would probably survive in the event of an escape so they are afraid of "alien invasion" :D

They recently started to allow tropical geckos and lizards that have specialized husbandry coz in the event of an escape, the animals would surely die.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby leighroomes » Wed May 21, 2008 12:52 pm

thats a bummer :(
What tropical geckos and lizards can you keep. I'v seen giant ground geckos around.
leighroomes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 pm

I have been allowed frilled dragons, crested, gargoyle and gold dust day geckos. All the Rhacodactylus are allowed. I think that all the other day geckos will be allowed except maybe East African Green Day Gecko. The Giant day geckos are allowed.

I am working on getting some other geckos and have had approval on some but I couldn't source any at the time. Cat Geckos are one of them.

I am looking at getting a few Uroplatus, Gehyra Vorax and Palm geckos.

We are also allowed a few chameleons like Veilds, carpet, panther, jacksonii and Meller's etc.

Hopefully a few more surprises in the future.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hendre » Wed May 21, 2008 7:05 pm

thats cool because i heard from several people that frilled lizards as well as crested gecko's are also illegal in the cape but i saw you sold them on your site so i was wondering how that works and was meaning to ask but now i know. Do you think that you are a special case or are those legal for all of us.
A slithery slide on the wild side
Hendre
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Wed May 21, 2008 7:33 pm

I am selling them on permit in Cape Town so you have been hearing wrong. No special case for me. Maybe the other people have been assuming that they are illegal as we haven't had many lizards and gex available. I imported them from the USA so they are not illegal. I have imported a fair amount of crested geckos and a few gargoyles. Cape Nature are a real pleasure to deal with and are really good with permits. JHB is a nightmare! You don't need permits for exotics but you do when importing from other provinces. It took me 3 months to get crested geckos into JHB and I needed risk assessments for them too. I went through the same with the frilleds I sent over.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leighroomes » Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 am

I think that dumb they make it so hard then, cause people will just do it illegally if its that much easier.
leighroomes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boing » Thu May 22, 2008 9:59 am

Bjorn wrote:I have imported a fair amount of crested geckos and a few gargoyles.

OK, maybe this is a silly question, but what exactly are gargoyles? When I tried a Google search, all I got was pics of those cool stone things. They obviously would not be a problem with Cape Nature, unless you get the talking ones Disney used for Hunchback of Notre Dame...
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leighroomes » Thu May 22, 2008 10:07 am

leighroomes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 22, 2008 10:10 am

They are relative of the Crested geckos called Gargoyle headed geckos or Rachodactylus auriculatus.

They were very common 15 years ago before the first Crested geckos were bred in captivity. Crested geckos were believed to be almost extinct before some surfaced in the US and Germany. The Cresteds became the flavour of the month and the Gargoyles were neglected. Now there is a resurgence in their popularity.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu May 22, 2008 10:34 am

They are making things really difficult for the guys trying to do everything right and they don't work with you. At least I don't have to microchip the geckos now.

Here is a google search with images.
http://images.google.co.za/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Rhacodactylus+auriculatus&spell=1
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boing » Thu May 22, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks. They are gorgeous. Just out of curiosity, how available are these in SA? And other Rhacodactylus species?
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cornishrex_rules » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:25 pm

So which provinces are Beardies not legal? :?:
cornishrex_rules
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hendre » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:18 pm

I saw Bjorn's Gargoyles yesterday and they are absolutely amazing! There's really no way you could compare a picture with one in your hands! if only i had more money!
A slithery slide on the wild side
Hendre
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)