Mist generator?

Mist generator?

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Do you guys think that a mist generator is worthwile to spend money on, or is it just a waste?Are there any better ways than spraying with a bottle?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Some of the misters are from a vibration in the water and these can be detrimental to the health of your animals. Make sure you check on what method is used to generate mist.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Is it worthwile to purchase?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SarkkaS » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:18 pm

I think the most common and accepted way is ultrasound fogging and several manufacturers offer their solution as the best - even when they all offer pretty much the same exact product under different names.

Prices range mostly from about 40€ to 100€. Normally, these don't present a threat to the animals but I'd recommend that you make sure that there is no chance the animal will get in direct contact with the fogger unit. A suitable plastic mesh, etc. should do fine.

As far as cool factor and looks go, with the correct lighting, they do get the job done until they run out of water and they stop.

-Sale
Sauli Särkkä
SarkkaS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:50 pm

I know high intensity ultrasonic energy in a fluid medium can be very bad for living tissue, how intense the energy is from these foggers cannot be dangerous, but I still question the long term exposure.
Say a snake rests in it's waterbowl for a few days with a fogger in it humming away, anybody know how safe this is for the animal?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:09 pm

I have been searching the net for these foggers and many reptile companies sell them. Zoomed, Exo Terra and Lucky Reptile. I wouldn't have one exposed so a reptile can come in contact with in as if you touch the membrane it can hurt.

They use them in caves and fog machines that blow it out. They are also used for babies and in the health industry.

I found the manufacturers of a well known unit but minimum order is 1000 units. The price is 5-6 times better than the wholesale price here. Still can't afford that many.

Here are a few links

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products

http://www.luckyreptile.com/html

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/fogger.php

I don't thing there is any harm in them.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Something to bear in mind is that using a fogger drops your temperatures rather radically. Make sure that you compensate the heating when the fogger kicks in.

Foggers are often used in open air restaurants to reduce the temperatures and even some parks have misters along the paths to make the walk more comfortable for the people.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm just looking for an easier way to keep up the humidity.

Oh yeah I know wat your'e talking about, we have alot of them here, it gets really hot here. :cool:
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Babybird » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:28 pm

I think it would be easier for the people that are trying to help you,if you could maybe explain and describe things a little bit better.
Like for example what species you wanna keep,what ur setup is like and things like that...
Babybird
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:34 pm

I keep yellow anacondas, and need a "lazier" way to keep the humidity up.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:44 pm

Some of those mister are connected to pumps and it's the pressure that makes the mist from the brass fittings. There is something like 11,5 bar pressure for those. Woulds be nice if you have a large chameleon room. Lucky Reptile make one that works with a little 6,5 bar pump and a few fittings. It can be used for a few cages.

The foggers opperate at 5-40 deg and it the water is stored in the cage the mist wont be to cold. I helped someone install it for a Green Tree python and it looks really nice. It's also connected to a humistat to control the humidity. He also has a thermostat to control the temps.

I have also seen a super fogger used with an Emerald tree boa and it was much happier with the conditions.

One easy way to keep up humidity is to have a waterbowl over a heat pad. It can also get to humid so keep an eye on it. Maybe place it half way on the pad.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Yellow anaconda. Ok big water bowl and maybe a moist hide.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Is there anything that controls humidity?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:07 pm

Yes I think it's called a humistat. Zoomed have a new one that controls both humidity and temp. Can't wait till they are here. Just don't want to be shocked by the price.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:39 am

You can use an aquarium heater to heat the water - this will help keep the humidity up
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques