UV Needs for Beardies

UV Needs for Beardies

Postby Mordeth » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:12 pm

After a lot of reading about bad lighting for Beardies and good lighting and so forth, I would like to know from some of you if you know where I can get some info about the UV needs of a Beardie. Some research done by some one, somewhere where I can find out what readings are unhealthy and what is healthy so I can put my mind to rest.

Thank you
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Charlie » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 pm

The best site I found when I bought my girlfriends beardies is beardeddragons.co.za

I hope it that helps!
Does anybody else have the Hibby Dibby Jeebies?
Charlie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:44 am

You can also try using the search function on this forum. There has been quite a few discussions regarding UV light, etc. Have a look in the caresheet section as well, there are some links to the appropriate information.

This Topic has been moved to the appropriate section
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Mordeth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:26 am

Got nothing out of the search, do not know if I just went about it the wrong way. Will try the care sheets.

Thank you
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Beetle_Juice » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:18 pm

try
http://www.reptileuv.com/

i know they have done a study on it....so it should be somewhere on the site
Beetle_Juice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mordeth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Thank you. Will see what I can find.
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Hello

Postby Drache613 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Hello,
Here is an excellent chart of various lights that have been tested, & what their output of UVB & UVA are.
It is:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

What, exactly, are you trying to find out? The technical needs for your dragon, etc? I can answer your UVB questions, just let me know what questions you have & I will help you out. :D

Tracie
We miss you, Steve Irwin!!
Drache613
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mordeth » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:34 pm

Thank you. That site has helped a lot.

Drache613, I am trying to find out what are the technical needs of the Bearded Dragon. Can you help me please?
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Beardies need bulbs with very high UV output, a Reptisun 10.0 or a Reptiglo 8.0 would be your best options. Setup your cage so that there are places where the dragon can get it's entire body within 15 cm of the bulb.

Hope this helps...
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LordBelgoroth » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi the technical needs as per say from reptile lighting in most cases needed for a few things firstly bearded dragons (correct me if im mistaken)use the uva, the visual white light, to induce regular activites such as basking, regular sight, hunting and digestion. Bearded dragons are visual hunters relying on their sight primarly. Secondly uvb is then needed to process the food they have (simply put) its used to break down and absorb calcium, which is very important for almost every single reptile. The photoperiod is also essential for its regular activity. active time basking time and sleep time. Other than that bearded dragons also associate light with warm, which they need for thermoregulation, so under light they will process food and warm up. Hope that was of use :)
Feistrola Chan Ddreigiau
LordBelgoroth
SA Reptiles Member

UV needs for beardies

Postby Mordeth » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:38 am

Thank you this helps.

Does any one know what concentrations of these lights they need?

The reason I ask is I know a person that has a lighting factory, so I would like to know some technical needs of the Dragons and their lights so I can ask this person if he can get me such a light for "cheaper". But to do this I must know a lot about the technical needs of the light to ensure I do not risk my Beardies health...

Thank you
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Re: UV Needs of Beardies

Postby Drache613 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:52 am

Hello,

Are you speaking of technical meaning the microwatts per cm2? If so, there really is no "set" uWcm2 required but this is where alot starts to get confusing.
What type of lighting factory does he have, does he make flourescent tube UVB's or mercury vapor lamps? If so, does he test his lights prior to releasing them to the public?
As far as the "concentrations" of UVB I will see if I can explain it as best as I can. To maintain good healthy strong bones, a good "number" of uWcm2 to go for that should maintain their 25 hydroxy numbers in the positive ranges in order to stave off Metabolic Bone Disease is roughly 50uWcm2.
Keep in mind that MOST flourescent tube lights do not provide all that much UVB to begin with & they quickly decline after several months & have to be replaced in order to be sure you are providing optimal UVB emissions. There are only a few MVB lights that are excellent quality. The 2 most popular ones are the Megaray & the T-rex active UV heat. Both of those lights will give you 150-200uWcm2 of good quality UVB light.
What you need to remember, is that in the wild, they self regulate, meaning, they instinctively regulate their calcium & D3 levels. Some days they may bask more than on other days. So in captivity that means that we must make sure that we give them the opportunity to seek out UVB for a good portion of the day. If they choose to sit directly underneath it then great, but at times, they may want more indirect light, in which they will sit in the outskirts of the UVB. No reptile basks in the sun or heat all day long. They usually get the most concentration or the strongest rays of sun between 10-2 & then they usually cool off & then come out later on when it cools down. The Mercury Vapor bulbs are so popular because they provide the maximal UVB right in the center, with a good spectrum on the range of several inches outside of the center being less intense. So they can choose what concentration & strength of UVB rays they want at that time.
They will seek out the needed amounts of heat & UVB that they need but it is our responsibility to be providing it to them. They can't get proper UVB if their lights are not putting out enough UVB's.
The best way to monitor the output of your UVB light is to simply buy a UVB meter solarmeter 6.2, which will run you around $150 or so roughly. If your light begins to go under 50uWcm2 then, I would replace it. Then hold on to the old light, in case you need a back up or just a floodlight some time if you are in a bind for a light short term.

I hope this helps. If you need more data, let me know.

Tracie
Drache613
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:59 am

You cannot get more technical than that I think.

Thanks Tracie.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mordeth » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Thank you. You have helped a lot, will ask if I come across to something I need more info on.

This persone does not make and sell UVB lights in perticular, he sells any lights, mostly housing lights but he has helped people I know with snakes, lizards and aquariums. You just need to give him what he needs and he looks to help you.
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Drache613 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:59 am

Hello,

You are welcome. :-))
That is neat you have someone that can make a specialized light for you. What kind of basking light are you going to have him make for you? Make sure if you have him make you a basking light that the Kelvins are 5000-6500, & 90-100 on the Color Rendering Index (brightness).
Heck, he will know all about those terms for certain brightness, anyway.
Good luck!!

Tracie
Drache613
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)