Snake Catchers Response Line

Found a snake in your garden? Need someone to remove it? Here is a list of people who put their lives at risk to save snakes, and remove them unharmed. Please do not prank them. They are there to help you.

Snake Catchers Response Line

Postby spinnerak » Tue May 26, 2009 4:30 pm

hey all i would just like to know if you would be interested in being part of a network that does snake removals i would be looking for people from all over to assist with this project, all i need is to be able to contact the person either in or closest to the area where the snake is located

my number is being aired on RSG just after 11 this evening and i am planning on using it as the central number.
when the calls come through i will send out the relevant sms'es with all the details of where the capture and release is to be taken place.

anyone who is interested please pm or sms me on 0847347202 with your details like name, Username, phone number, and where you are located.

please guys lets get this going, it will save more lives of snakes at the end of the day,
"Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."
George Carlin.
spinnerak
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snake Catchers Response Line

Postby gaboon69 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Go to town! Be careful who you involve, as it can backfire easily when Natcon is not happy. Good work.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby spinnerak » Wed May 27, 2009 12:07 am

Well i spent an hour calling but no one picked up ! Maybe better luck next time. :(
"Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."
George Carlin.
spinnerak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boing » Wed May 27, 2009 8:23 am

Are you talking just your province (where is Rayton anyway)? or National?

Sounds like a good theory, but getting NatCons approval first might be a good step.

We have a kind of informal system like that here in that the Chairman of the local herp club is the # 1 person for everyone to call and he often sends one of the other people if it is closer for them or he is busy. That doesn't mean any of us can't take calls without his knowledge, but his is the number which is most well known.
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby spinnerak » Wed May 27, 2009 9:37 am

I was thinking national !
George Carlin.
spinnerak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Wed May 27, 2009 10:11 am

Are catch & release permits obligitory throughout the country? and do people have to attend a handling course?
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Iggy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:48 am

I know someone is involved in getting a similar thing up and running, with Vodacom as sponsors and I believe possibly providing a 24 hour manned service. Permits obligatory and catchers course/proven experience (not sure how it is all controlled) also obligatory. Maybe try to find out whether this is already well into planning as there is a lot involved and it makes more sense to get involved maybe as an administrator or similar rather than duplicating.
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Wed May 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Will there be some conflict with regard some who charge a fee?
I am sure most of us in the W.Cape do it for free; the thinking being if a householder/farmer etc. has the choice of paying a fee or killing the snake they may choose the latter.
It should also be clear what area is covered, e.g. I work a 50km radius around Oudtshoorn.
armata

Postby Hennie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm willing to be part of such a database. Will work radius of 50 km in West Rand area for free. It's all about conservation. Keep us posted. Think if we stay within the rules, there won't be problems.
Hennie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakemanjayd » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 am

I'm in PMB, haven't done a handling course yet, but have been catching for ages.
I'm keen.
snakemanjayd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:31 pm

I think a good start would be to have local contacts so you cann pass on calls just outside your area. For example, I know there are people dealing in George and Prince Albert but I don't have there contact numbers; and I frequently get calls for such areas, and even deal with some.
armata

Postby spinnerak » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:20 pm

if everyone could work a radius roughly 50km around their area it would be great
George Carlin.
spinnerak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shamroth » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Somerset west and franschoek in the western cape are both covered..by coral and scales respectively.you can send them pm's, im sure they'd be interested
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MacAdder » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:05 am

I attempted putting together a national snake catch & release “hotline” a couple of years back. The bureaucratic red tape was an adventure of note.
When I eventually had everything in order I then had an individual or two muddy the preverbal water by taking my ideas and trying to run it through an unorganized 'organization' for their own personal agendas.

It then all became a logistical nightmare which I did not have the time for. Spinnerak I wish you success but start provincially and work from that.

If you think I am able to assist PM me.
Fight against Oppression apathy and ignorance.
Challenge to open the eyes of those that choose not to see.
MacAdder
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby duvsta » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Have been thinking about offering this service (For Free) in the Melkbosstrand area. Any advice? Is anybody else already doing it round here? Would I need any permits to only catch and release?

Thanks

Duv
duvsta
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Problem Reptile Removals