broken heart, but I'm at peace

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

broken heart, but I'm at peace

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:25 pm

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/alb ... PATRYS.JPG
Qt, you asked me when you visited me, which one of my girl iggies is my favourite and i told you that they all are! lexi -my alfa dominant one, sammy my rescue abused one, peanut the teenager, fibi-fat-cat head like a frog,eyes like a cat and lie in her food bowl all day(i think someone dropped her egg) AND then patrys, my pretty sweetheart!

i had the most horrific weekend EVA. on friday afternoon21/08, my maid cleaned the windows of the room where my iggies stay and patryssie,VERY gravid was lying in the sun. when i got home at 4h30, i saw my maid face and knew something is horribly wrong. she forgot to close the window and my girl is gone!! i went CRAZY!! we were looking for her till 10h and the Sat morning from early, all the neighbours were phoned. nobody in the house slept a wink. the night temp dropped to -1 and i knew we were in trouble. we found her 16h00 sat frozen stiff. i placed her in very warm water and changed it constantly. she started to breath again after a while. i placed her then on heatpads and covered her with extra heat pads. i thought she's going to be fine, she tried to lift her head and opened her eyes a little but suddenly she started with deep sighing/gasping tipe breaths in between her normal breathing and i thought she was only coming around. i phoned the vet and he told me what she's going into shock. we rushed her to my rooms where i gave her oxygen and pulmicort (cortisone) inhalations. but her lungs where full of fluids and she died while i were holding her. i'm devastated but at peace because she died while she was with me(warm) and i could tell her how much i love her and how much pleasure she has given me and she will always be in my heart. the thought that i might not have found her and she was outside in the cold and not knowing if she is still alive or not would have driven me nutssss!!!
the whole time, on Sat i prayed John 14:13, and God answered my prayer of my desperation to find her.
we took out her eggs and there were 56 healthy looking ones. i had a look in the incubator today and they are still looking good. i know its way to early to tell, but i just believe that they will make it i memory of there wonderfull mommy

good bye my sweetest girl, your basket will always be empty but my mind will be filled with your beautifull face
xxxx
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Re: broken heart, but I'm at peace

Postby gaboon69 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Shame man. That sucks. Maids and reptiles never mix.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:37 pm

sorry about that :(

yeah my maid doesn't clean my room because of my snake :)
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:59 pm

That is so unneccesary. It is very seldom that recovered eggs ever hatch but I will be holding thumbs for these.

Really sorry for your loss.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:32 pm

I recently lost my 10 year old Iguana so i can relate.
Im very sorry to hear it. There is no doubt in my mind that she knew what it meant to be with you at the end. I hope that helps you.
These Iguanas are remarkable animals.
I hope your eggs hatch, stranger things have happened.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wobbles » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:28 pm

I had a veiled cham that passed on a while ago. She dug and covered several holes in what seemed like an attempt to lay. A few days later she finally went to that place all ex reptiles go. I cut her open on the insistance of the mrs and removed 29 eggs. The ones just before the vent was where the problem was discovered. The oviduct had somehow twisted and as a result she was unable to lay..........further. A day or so later on cleaning out her cage we found that she had in fact laid 7 eggs before the problem.

All but two of the eggs still look good. I have hatched several eggs that have been removed previously from reptiles ( snakes included ) and have no reason to doubt that the majority of these will hatch too. ( incubating for over three weeks now.)

I know of someone local that bought a gravid imported chameleon at a show about three years back and when this animal eventually succumbed ( it was gravid when he bought it and didnt know ) he managed to hatch several eggs that were removed from the deceased female.

As far as chams go if this happens at least try incubate the eggs. Dont just turf them.
Wobbles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:27 pm

Holding thumbs for the eggs.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:29 am

Oh Carin, I can't even type I'm crying so much!! U know it is odd as you have been on my mind so much these last couple of days and now I know why!!! On Saturday my Dad and I spoke about coming to see you soon, he is dying to see your Iggy's!

I have no words for you. I understand that bitter bitter aching heart pain too well and it sets one back significantly. All I can say is I am thinking of you and praying for you! I would come through to see you but think it's still too soon. I know from experience that I shut off from the world for a while but I am not far.

You know, they say it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all............... Sometimes I don't know, that loss is too eina....but how could we possibly survive without our heart beats. And only your true passionate animal lovers truly understand this feeling! That is where this forum becomes quite comforting too, cos somehow it helps knowing others understand and feel for you! I'm so heartsore now I'm just crying for all my one's I've lost and still going too and can't bare the thought of what you must have gone through this weekend....

I have full faith and confidence those eggs will be just fine!

Thinking of you!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:51 am

Sorry to hear about your loss!! its not easy losing a pet, everything of the best with your eggs!
I do not let anybody open my cages for that very reason, things can go wrong that quick!
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:24 am

Really sad story...so sorry to hear...also holding thumbs for those eggs.....
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 am

Where an animal has died from egg binding or while laying I do understand that the eggs are at full term and should then hatch. My experience has been with road kills and human attacks where the exact date that she was supposed to lay is unknown.

I dont have that many animals that die from egg binding and have never had to cut eggs out a dead captive female but if this has happened to Wobbles more often and he has had more experience with this then his advice gives some hope.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:18 pm

thanx everyone for all your encouraging words. its so amazing that everbody on this forum understands.
Qt, your welcome to come anytime, I'm still crying alot and have this "i should have or could haves" thoughts thats driving me nuts at this stage! but have to deal with it, i think its natural to feel this way. one mistake that i would NEVA make again is not trusting my instincts, i felt that i should ask the neigbour, where we found her eventually, if i can go through their garden again, but their phone were engage, so i didn't try again. I SHOULD HAVE gone and searched again, see what I'm battling with at the moment.
wobbles thats for giving hope on the eggs
BV, some of the eggs have a "greenish wettish slymish"spot, can i wipe it of with very diluted disinfectant F10 or something? i can also see the airbubble in some of the eggs that i haven't seen in any of my previous batches before
nogmaals thanx everyone
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:01 pm

Wipe the eggs with F10 and hold thumbs.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mgiddings » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:34 pm

Good luck i hope all comes out well
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:13 pm

Like I said to you tonight, it is absolutely normal to be riddled with those feelings of guilt...What if? Should have, must have, why not, if only! And the list goes on! Let your list go on, feel guilty, cry, scream, break plates, Allow yourself to go through all those emotions, IT IS NORMAL! I must admit however, you are being unbelievably brave. More so than what I could ever dream of being under these circumstances! It is also very important to assure her, you don't blame her and hold any feelings of hatred, bitterness or anger.
Understand, not only the loss and heartache she is feeling but the fear and anger and self-blame....something like this is enough to kill!

I can help, advise and support till I pass out, cos I got a big mouth... just don't put me in this situation, cos then you may as well draw pictures on a wall! You are so brave my friend.... A reason, A season, A life time...... See you soon!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to RIP