Postby chondro3000 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:18 pm

This was send to me via email, this snake was found in sable hills
She was apparently released in roodeplaat dam nature reserve
Man kind would be very lonely with out the companionship of animals
chondro3000
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Small snake in pretoria

Postby MikeW » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Well whoever untangled/cut her from the wire needs a medal - she would have been pretty miffed :-)
MikeW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 pm

LOL see the old guy on the phone in the second photo? "Hey? Put it in a bucket?"

Decent size python! Very glad to see it has survived that although it's neck area looks a little distorted.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby chondro3000 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:57 pm

The neck is most propbly streched cause it most likely got rid of a big meal to try and escape
Man kind would be very lonely with out the companionship of animals
chondro3000
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RAGE » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:36 am

Kudos to the guys for not killing it!
LIFES A .........
RAGE
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:28 am

Looks like the guy on the phone is protecting his "family jewels" as well. Did he think it was an egg eater?

If you see the guy next to him he is fashioning a noose with a piece of plastic conduiting and some nylon rope. Possibly this explains the nech are being damaged.

At least they released it and did not kill it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rishaad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:59 am

It is a nice size. Good on the guys who saved it. Might have been a different story if the owners of the house weren't around.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:45 pm

I doubt any of those workers would have gone near enough to the snake to kill it. Stunning snake.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpitologica » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Agree with DK anything over 30 cm's is shovels down and head for the hills time.Great to see afroks that size still still around.My girlfriends parents own a farm in the cookhouse area,it's taken me a year to teach them that not everything is a boomslang or a cape cobra.They now know what a molesnake and a brown house snake look like and get the fact that they eat the rats that kill their meilies.So finally less rat poison get's laid down,which saves the owls,mongooses and snakes in the fields.
herpitologica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rosshawkins2812 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:08 pm

What an awesome animal
rosshawkins2812
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mamba no 5 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:29 am

Maybe the guy on the phone wetting his pants?
That is a good looking snake apart from the damage to it's neck.
Do you think it will make a full recovery.
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wesselp » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:10 am

I do not think the guy who caught the snake and released it is a hero. They should have taken it the the Zoo. I stay next to the Roodeplaat Nature reserve. We have had a large snak, just like this one, terrorize the area for some time now. I lost a dog to this snake. I have not seen it. But the workers reported exactly what I see on the picture. Maybe better that I have not seen it. It will not survive. I WILL kill it when I see it. I have two small children. And if I have to choose between my children and the snake. Well. The snake will die every time. I believe in conservation. But not at the expense of my family. So if there is anybody out there that does not want to see this snake die. Come look for it and take it away. Because I WILL shoot it on sight. It is to easy to come and drop problamatic animals in the reserve. But what people do not understand, is that there are people staying around the reserve. And animals do not consider fences. They will not stay in the reserve, just because we want them to do so. And we stay arount the reserve, because we have done so for years. So we have the right to be there.
wesselp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boaboy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:34 am

You need mental help!!!!
1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:48 am

Wessel, please send me your address so I know to stay away from your place ;)

You have the right to stay around the reserve because you have been there for years? Imagine the poor animals that have been there for millions of years and were forced to leave due to development, or even worse, the ones who were shot by people like you.

If you want to vent about killing a snake, I dont think this is the place to do it. Won't end well.

BTW, it is illegal to shoot a Natal Rock Python, but something tells me that wont bother you much.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:02 am

Wesselp, Just by the fact that you sighed up onto a reptile forum with your 1st post being a threat to kill a snake suggests you don’t have much sense to start with and any education anyone here could offer you will likely fall on deaf ears.

You say you have the right to be there but do you actually believe you have more right than the wildlife which is just struggling to survive? It is this sort of arrogant human attitude that has sent the natural world out of balance and under constant threat. Then in your ignorance you attempt to justify killing an animal like this to “protect your family” when your family is not at risk in the first place. If you really had to choose between the snakes life or your children then I doubt anyone would fault you but this is not the reality of the situation.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)