Everglade Rat Snake: Sore on top of snout

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Everglade Rat Snake: Sore on top of snout

Postby magdakuit » Mon May 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi everybody,

My boyfriend encouraged me to post here...

I have an Everglade rat snake, Lovelace, she is about a year old now and I've never had any trouble with her before. She has been refusing to eat for 3 weeks and was very aggressive and scared last week. Also, last week I noticed a small brown spot on the top of her snout; I put on some germolene. Alas, by the end of the week in turn into a sore. I took her to the vet who gave her some antibacterial injection, on Saturday, and she went again for an injection today. The vet also recommended bactroban for an ointment which I've been putting on since Saturday. She seems a lot better (more active and friendly) and the sore doesn't look like it is getting worse. I hope she will eat Thursday, else the vet says that I can bring her in and he'll show me how to force-feed her. I've never force feed before and do not look forward to it.

I've posted a picture below of her sore. I hope that she will heal nicely and that it is a bruise that turned bad rather than some kind of a disease. It'll really be great if you have some more advise for me. I usually give her two weaner mice, but she only took one the last time she had eaten. Do you think I should try giving her a weaner or should I move down to a fuzzy?

Thank you,
Magda

DSC01809.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
magdakuit
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Everglade Rat Snake: Sore on top of snout

Postby Fooble » Mon May 24, 2010 9:47 pm

I think bactroban is the best option.
try post another picture of the bump thats not a great angle.

Also do not force feed the snake so soon, how long is the snake?

By the looks it can go easily say 3 weeks with any problems.
Force feeding should only be done with its absolutely necessary as its really stressful to the snake.

Im not sure that small bump would stop it from feeding perhaps also with the onset of the cold.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby froot » Tue May 25, 2010 7:22 am

Ask the vet to look inside her mouth and check for mouthrot, I've had a loose tooth cause something similar to this.

Shouldn't she be hibernating as opposed to eating?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby magdakuit » Tue May 25, 2010 8:21 am

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

She's about 1.2m.
Her cage is not that cold and she ate all through last winter.

I'll try to get a better picture; I just need to setup some lights.
magdakuit
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue May 25, 2010 8:31 am

Magda, are you sure she is a she?

Male snakes tend to totally go off food a certain time of year and they rub their noses a lot while moving around the cage which could be the cause of your injury.

If she is a year old, 1.2m is very big. Maybe she's a bit older and she's thinking about reproduction.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. And please do not attempt force feeding. She looks healthy and as long as that is the case I wouldn't stress.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby froot » Tue May 25, 2010 10:04 am

And please do not attempt force feeding.

Agreed, it can create more problems than it solves.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 25, 2010 11:34 am

That looks pretty much like a sore snakes get when they have been burrowing under the substrate. Carpets as well as cage decorations do cause the scratches on the head which does take a while to recover. I would not worry about it until as it does not look like an open wound. Check all the places where she might be trying to hide under.

Make sure the snake is still nice and warm and it should feed better. As long as she is eating I would not worry about force feeding her.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Tue May 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Bactroban works very well.

Alternatively, you can also use F10 Ointment, which also acts as a disinfectant.

I agree with the others - force feeding is very stressfull and might not be the best right now. Has she lost any condition? This will be able to guide you in the right direction as to decide what to do with regards to her feeding behaviour.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby magdakuit » Tue May 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Cool, thanks for all the advise!

I will not try to force feed and will only consider it as last resort.

She's probably nearer to a year and half. She might be male; I've never had her sexed. She/he is rubbing her/his head against everything...

For now I think I am going to keep putting on ointment and make sure the wound doesn't get worse. Hopefully it will all be over in a week or two.
magdakuit
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 am

The thing is the ointment won't do much if he/she keeps on rubbing. the sore will just keep getting bigger.

It might be worth buying a big, plastic Addis tub without sharp edges and corners and keeping it in there for the time being.

Treat and keep him in there at least until the wound has healed totally and then try placing him back in his original enclosure.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby WynandKruger » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 am

hi, i have the same problem, my yellow rat snake liya is 5 years old and rubs her head the same way against everything in her cage, temp average is 28-32, humidity 60%. refuses to eat. Why could she be doing this?
hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
WynandKruger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:31 am

Wynand it is possible that she has mites or something else is irritating her. Look into this first.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Reptile Hospital