Canon 550D

Please try include your camera settings with your photos where possible.

Canon 550D

Postby Marcel2992 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi everyone!
I just want to get your opinion on the Canon 550D camera. 18 megapixels seem quite good to me but it probaly all depends on the lenz. But I will mostly use it for action photos like wild life and most of all, SNAKES! So I also want to know how many frames per second it is so I don't get blur AT ALL and so the pictures comes out Tip Top Perfect.Would you guys think that it is a good camera? Thanks

Marcel
Knowledge comes from reading a book. Experience comes from... not reading it.
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Canon 550D

Postby Fooble » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 pm

That is a great DSLR it can also record in HD video which may come in useful.

At the end of the day its how you USE the camera having the top of the line camera doesn't mean you will take GREAT photo's.

In the end it's all about the lenses are they say.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Marcel2992 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Nice thanks. So I'm going to get me one. But it comes with some accessories with like another lens etc. So that will also be handy. Thanks
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Marcel, go for the body only, I get fed up with Canon and Nikon ofrening these bundles with a cr@p lens. Trouble is if you get the lens then you will use it, and then get not so good results. Put the money toward a decent Macro.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby sildargod » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:03 am

The 550d is a great camera, with a poor kit lens and will suit you very well. The biggest problem with cameras like this is that they will amplify your shortcomings as a photographer, so be aware that no camera (not even a desperately expensive Canon 1dsmkiii) will be able to give you perfect pictures. By the same token, even a cheap and "slow" (in terms of fps) Nikon d60 will give you magnificent photos when used correctly. It also depends on the application, my ultimate camera is a Leica m9, which is absurdly slow at barely 2fps. What it does in those 2fps is utter magic though, and perfectly justifies its steep price - R65000 for the body, before you even consider lenses. A Hasselblad setup will cost you well into R300000 and that's a camera that barely cranks out 1fps. In fact, you're more likely to get 0.75 (beautiful, staggeringly detailed, absurdly sharp, rich, medium format) frames in a second.
If you plan to be using it for sports or professionally, you may want to invest more time in courses and then go straight up to a 1d, but as an entry level or intermediate camera, a 550d is more than you'll need, offering really decent resolution (honestly, anything above 8mp is WAY more than the average user needs.) and high def video recording. It's ergonomic, and gets pretty decent high ISO performance. Don't be put off if the initial results aren't what you were expecting, it takes a lot of work, reading, practice, reading, studying, practice and time to really start mastering the camera.

Don't, whatever you do, be tempted to blow huge wads of cash on really expensive lenses until you've really started feeling comfortable with the camera and its functions, or else you will feel terribly ripped off and probably won't get any pleasure from the camera. If you do plan to, buy a 100mm macro up front and ignore all others. Seriously, investing in lenses before you know what the camera can do and what you want it to do is just flushing money away and won't return a fraction of the initial investment when you try to get rid of them.

Kaleem
http://www.facebook.com/kaleemrorkphotography
sildargod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Well said Sildargod. The frames per second shouldn't have a major influence on your decision. My camera does 8fps, but what they don't tell you when you buy a camera is that the camera's buffer for continuous shooting in RAW is only 6 photos... so that limits you to 6 shots in any case and then you have to wait for the buffer to clear again. I've not come accross too many subjects that require super high fps, and you are probably better off not using burst mode at all but making sure the 1 shot you take is perfectly sharp and well exposed.

As for the lenses, my advice would be to stick with the kit lens (or lenses if you are lucky) for now, until you find out exactly what your main interest is. You may find that you enjoy landscapes more than macro, and then a good landscape lens is a better investment than a macro lens, or you may find that you don't get enough time in nature reserves so a hugely expensive telephoto lens will not give you as much pleasure as a macro that you can use to photograph garden wildlife! Once you've got an idea of what you really want to do, go for the lens you really want. Also, MANY photographers on this forum have proved that you can get amazing photos with the kit lens (18-55mm), and the majority that I know of was taken with the old kit lens which is a lot worse than the new one!
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby Marcel2992 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks Kaleem! But now should I get the bundle or just the body and then a lens? Or I could get the bundle and get used to the camera and then do more research in lenses, into what to get later on.?
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:28 pm

@BushSnake. Thank you! I think that I will rather get the bundle and get used to the camera and then invest in a good lens.

Thanks
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Marcel bare in mind if you get just the body and buy the lenses separately you will land up spending a lot more.
I bought a new camera about 3 weeks ago and i also had similar questions as to what you do.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby armata » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:46 pm

OK I am only assuming those kit lenses are as poor as Nikon. To improve your shots with this lens use a small aperture.
If you like landscapes then I was going to say get a polar filer - but I just got one, Hmm. R750 :(
armata

Postby Marcel2992 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:24 pm

OK. lol. So I should?? By the way, How much is just the body?
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Orms price in CT is R8639.00 for body only.

You can be cheeky when buying an expensive camera, ask if they will chuck in an 8g card as well, at least a 4g :D
armata

Postby sildargod » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Buy the bundle Marcel, the lens you get is poorly constructed and "slow" (being f/3.5 wide open at 18mm) but will do you absolutely fine initially. It has an average focal distance, relatively little barrel distortion at the wide end - the distortion stops almostly completely by 24mm - and renders colour fairly, if not entirely faithfully. What it does however, and this is something I didn't appreciate initally, is immaculate bokeh. When stepped down, it's also brilliantly sharp for a zoom lens. To put it in perspective, the cheapest walkaround alternative lens is the canon 18-135mm which offers the same optics but a slightly longer reach at R4k. That's a bit of dosh. Improving the aperture by a stop you can look at the 17-55mm f/2.8 is usm which is R10k. TEN thousand rand. Write it off as a cheapie lens if you will, but the price of improved optics is huge, and "improved" is usually extremely reliant on the photographers ability to make use of the improvements. As Bushsnake has pointed out, there are many photographers making do with the old kit lens, which I've used and believe me, it's way worse the new one.
Really, you have decided on the canon 550d, which is a good thing. Read up on techniques now, don't (I can't emphasise this enough) become a gear junkie. You waste money and don't actually take photographs if all you think about is new lenses or bodies. Trust me, I speak from very expensive experience.

Armata, where did you buy that filter? For what diameter lens? you should be able to get a 62mm Cokin polarising filter for R539, and I can't think of any wide angle lenses that are wider than 62mm?
http://www.facebook.com/kaleemrorkphotography
sildargod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:31 pm

OK. So I've decided that I AM going to take the bundle. I mean R1000 isn't that much more for a bag 2 lenses and a 10 Gig memory card. But now the question goes... If I need a better lens what type of lens should I get.I want a lens that can zoom in quit far and take close photo's. Because when I see a rhino for instance and it is very far away I want to zoom in and take a good non-blurring photo of his head or maybe eye (If possible,lol) good quality. And then sometimes I want to take a picture of an ant but very close and as well non blur and crystal clear and then when taking photos of normal stuff like at a wedding for instance (Mostly people).So that is the type of lens I'm looking for.BTW You know when you hold the button half way and then it goes green (zooms into position) and then you push it down all the way... how long does it take for this camera to do it's thing???Is it fast enough??

Thanks
Marcel
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Photography