Just got myself a Brazillian Rainbow Boa

Just got myself a Brazillian Rainbow Boa

Postby Badasti » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:39 am

Heya guys

If I told you how much I got it for it'd make you guys sick. Let's just say I paid less than half the WHOLESALE price. These guys obviously didn't have a clue what they had :cool:

Will post a piccy or 2 when I get home. Unfortunately they had him kept in the complete wrong setup. Think bearded dragon then you'll know how they kept this guy. Still very young but I've put him in some bark chips, sphagnum moss and made it all moist for him. Within an hour his skin was looking a million times better and he looks completely healthy.

Any tips on keeping / housing these guys? I'd like the full 101 as if I was a complete idiot please, water bowl / where he'd best like to hang out (so far he buries himself amongst the bark chips) I got him in a decent size tank as he's still fairly young but I'm looking to get creative with his setup :-)
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Just got myself a Brazillian Rainbow Boa

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:43 am

Congrats on the new addition!

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, but if you paid little for it, it is probably for a reason. Maybe it wasn't feeding etc. But I hope you can get him started!

Google "Brazilian Rainbow Boa Care Sheet" and you will find all you require regarding care.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Badasti » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:06 am

westley wrote:Congrats on the new addition!

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, but if you paid little for it, it is probably for a reason. Maybe it wasn't feeding etc. But I hope you can get him started!

Google "Brazilian Rainbow Boa Care Sheet" and you will find all you require regarding care.

Thanks!

I'm not too worried, I'm fairly certain it's feeding. It's probably between 3-6 months old, it had been there for 3 odd weeks before I got him and the chap I bought him from didn't seem like a skelem, young quiet spoken guy. Just fairly clueless. I asked him if the species was docile (which I knew anyway) and he just looked completely puzzled. When I asked if they were feeding he did tell me they fed last Friday so I'll check it out. Otherwise the snake seems in good shape, it has obviously fed in the past because I've seen some a fair bit smaller at other places... But will post some pics later an maybe you can gimme some input from there? :)

Thanks for the help, will start researching now =)
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bianca » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:33 pm

They love to climb and explore so make sure your guy has branches and things for him to do at night. They also get really 'hyperactive' if I can say, when you handle them, i'm sure the exercise is good.

Just make sure you lock your tank - mine got out last night and i'm still looking.

But they really are awesome to have, a little bitchy at times but it's all part of the experience.

Enjoy!

P.S. After he's shed, take him outside and look at him in the sunshine - GORGEOUS!!!!!!! :smt007
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:29 am

Tip out the bark chips. Get moss and give him a moist box to climb into if he wants to. That works much better.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Badasti » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks for the tips guys. Didn't get to put up a pic last night as my girlfriend spent the night. She's terrified of my reptiles haha.

I'm actually using an old fish tank that I have covered with backing paper. I thought wood would be a bit troublesome with soaking up the moisture and all. Will put some branches up and see how it goes. Have also weighted his lid so hopefully that will keep him from pushing it up. Will def look forward to checking him out once he sheds. I've seen the rainbow effect partially on his skin in the sunlight but since the shop who kept him before had him drying out his skin was flaking. Doing much better since I've had him in a moist environment though.

@ BV Which type of moss? Only the spaghnum moss? Since the tank is glass and sealed at the bottom do you think I would be able to put a layer of soil and grow some naturally? I like the idea of keeping live vegitation in my reptiles tanks. For instance I grow a ficus in my chameleons tank and it works out really well.
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Using a fish tank and lid is a recipe for disaster. You are going to lose the animal. Mark my words.

Have a proper frame lid made which is heavy enough that he does not lift it. You must insulate the two sides and the back with polystyrene.

Yeah spaghnum moss is the best. Growing that in the cage will not work as the cages are usually too hot. He also needs a dry place so that he does not get belly rot either.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jen » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi Badasti
Congrats on your new baby! All the care sheets say that the entire enclosure needs to be of very high humidity, but I think that's actually unnecessary. If you keep the entire cage humid, you just have to clean it much more often & must be careful of mould growing. Bacteria also love the warm moist environment! I have a moist box, on the warm side (80-90% humidity, around 30 degrees) Mine love their hides (which are dry and on the cool side, only about 22-25 degrees) and only go in the moist box after a feed or when in the blue. I find that peat retains moisture very nicely in the humid box (but not the type bought from anursery - get it from a reptile shop). As Bianca says, they love to climb (but only at night) so make sure he has lots of secure branches. The only other thing is handle him very frequently. BRB's are known to be quite agro IF they aren't handled frequently. Mine were very nippy to start off with, but now they are placid.
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Badasti » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Bushviper wrote:Using a fish tank and lid is a recipe for disaster. You are going to lose the animal. Mark my words.

Have a proper frame lid made which is heavy enough that he does not lift it. You must insulate the two sides and the back with polystyrene.

Yeah spaghnum moss is the best. Growing that in the cage will not work as the cages are usually too hot. He also needs a dry place so that he does not get belly rot either.

Thanks BV. I Have weighted his lid for now, but will make a lid out of hardwood like I did for my Corn Snake. I assume the insulation is to regulate temperatures?

Did not know about the dry spot, I have been misting his tank so I'm glad you mentioned that. They didn't mention it on any of the care sheets I found. Too bad about not being able to grow his moss but I suppose it is pretty cheap to get from my supplier anyways.

Jen wrote:Hi Badasti
Congrats on your new baby! All the care sheets say that the entire enclosure needs to be of very high humidity, but I think that's actually unnecessary. If you keep the entire cage humid, you just have to clean it much more often & must be careful of mould growing. Bacteria also love the warm moist environment! I have a moist box, on the warm side (80-90% humidity, around 30 degrees) Mine love their hides (which are dry and on the cool side, only about 22-25 degrees) and only go in the moist box after a feed or when in the blue. I find that peat retains moisture very nicely in the humid box (but not the type bought from anursery - get it from a reptile shop). As Bianca says, they love to climb (but only at night) so make sure he has lots of secure branches. The only other thing is handle him very frequently. BRB's are known to be quite agro IF they aren't handled frequently. Mine were very nippy to start off with, but now they are placid.

Thanks Jen it's much appreciated! I was not sure on handling as some care sheets suggested infrequent handling due to the snakes nipping but I'm glad you brought this up. I like to handle each of my reptiles at least once per day, except for the snakes after feeding ofcourse so that suits me. I even find my Chameleon responds better if I handle him daily for feeding where's most care sheets suggest minimal interaction. I guess it's more down to how you handle them. I like the sounds of your setup I was thinking about keeping his water bowl over his heating pad to help maintain humidity while I'm at work. If it's not too much trouble would you mind uploading a pic or 2 of your setup?

AND FINALLY *drum roll please*

I must admit I was a lil worried but I'm glad to report he fed on a jumper today!! Woohoo. So here with some pics:

So that's a relief, I'm over the moon. Only cost me 400 bucks and I managed to get him out of the shitty setup they had him in. Had him in his cage for over an hour after feeding and so far no regurgitation :cool:
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:19 pm

He looks pretty bad. He has been dehydrated for a long period of time. I hope there isn't any organ damage.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Badasti » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Yeah his skin was terrible when I got him. His eyes were milky as if he was about to shed and his skin was whitish like when human skin dries out and becomes flaky. Since putting him in a humid tank it has improved drastically. They had him under a heat lamp in sand like you'd use for a bearded dragon with no shelter. Anyway at least he is feeding, will have to see how he does over the next week or 2 in a proper setup. Hopefully by his next shedding he will be in good shape.
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Shame - all the best with him. I hope he continues to improve. Regarding handling - I'd let him settle down a bit & get well, but once he's feeding nicely & is well hydrated, I would handle him quite often (except of course for a few days after feeding)
Below is the link to a post on my two:
http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=21739&start=0&hilit=brazilian
Here are two pics of the set up:

1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Badasti » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks Jen

Will definitely give mine a similar layout! I can't believe the difference between the look of your snakes and mine! BV wasn't kidding, he's in really bad shape. Can only hope he improves but will follow up with pics as time goes on.

If anyone knows of any other methods to treat my snake please let me know! I actually went back to the pet shop, they had an adult in another tank. I told them they were keeping it in the complete wrong conditions and they will end up killing it. Hopefully they will improve the living conditions for the poor thing :/
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

BRB Eye Problem?

Postby Badasti » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Heya guys,

So the snake is doing much better! He has just shed and although I have little experience - just from looking at him his skin has improved alot which is great. Bucks are extremely tight so basically since his tank is fairly long I keep one side with moist with extra sphagnum moss and the other side dry with a nice sized water bowl near his heating pad to maintain the humidity. Might not be ideal but he does alternate between the two sides and judging from his condition it is doing him much better than his previous environment...

Pics:

Happy days! He has his rainbow effect. I also just fed him after I took these pics. So far so good... Only problem I have now is his eyes, the right has improved slightly but the left seems to be getting worse. I'm not sure what to do about it. I don't know if perhaps he has layers of skin that weren't shed under his previous conditions. Was thinking maybe I could scratch a few bob together and buy a shedding spray that might help get rid of it? Not sure what to do so if anyone could offer some insight it'd be great.

Pics:

Left Eye - I battled to get focus and this was the best shot I managed to get. This is the eye I'm worried about, it actually looks slightly worse than it looks in the photo.

Right Eye - has improved slightly since I got him

As always any help would be greatly appreciated.
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

Re: BRB Eye Problem?

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Did you check if the shed is complete?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Rainbow boas (Epicrates sp.)