Smell in snakes

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Smell in snakes

Postby olivierwikus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:43 pm

Is there a common smell in snakes or do each one smell different?
I get alot of calls from contractors to "clear the area" before they start working. So my Oldman came up with the idea that he wants to train his dog to sniff out snakes. He does do dog training so he knows how to, but if each snake has a different smell like humans then i think its not going to work.
Any input will be appreciated
Thanks
When all else fail read the instructions
olivierwikus
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Smel in snakes

Postby gartersnake » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Well certain type of humans for instance, in South-Africa white people smell sweet to black people, apparently all of us I wouldn't know for sure.
But in my opinion snakes do share a similar smell "effect" not sure what to call this really, all I know snake poop smells bad, always! LOL

My opinion, interesting topic though.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 pm

lol.
Blackmambas definately have a smell of their own.I think if your dog has the scent off a shedding,he could track that down.In the Belizian jungle,a friend of mine hunted a type of rodent called a (gibnut )with a dog. In order for the dog to distiguish this smell,my friend had a dried galbladder from a gibnut that he will make the dog sniff before hunting for them.I have no idea if this is the key element,but that is what they swear by in the jungle to hunt this animal with dogs.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:30 am

I believe you can train certain dogs to seek out snakes, springer spaniel is one breed that comes to mind. Dont stress too much about different scents.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby olivierwikus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:13 am

Thankyou for all the replys so far. So it seems that it can work
Thankyou
olivierwikus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 am

I think this is an awsome idea and would love to have a dog like that, I only see one big fault. If the dog finds something like a puff adder or a cobra what then? The dog is most probably going to get bitten unless I am missing something.

But as I said if it is possible I would love a dog like this. :smt007
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 am

vuduman wrote:lol.
Blackmambas definately have a smell of their own.I think if your dog has the scent off a shedding,he could track that down.In the Belizian jungle,a friend of mine hunted a type of rodent called a (gibnut )with a dog. In order for the dog to distiguish this smell,my friend had a dried galbladder from a gibnut that he will make the dog sniff before hunting for them.I have no idea if this is the key element,but that is what they swear by in the jungle to hunt this animal with dogs.

It looks like a large spotted rat, and people eat it!

A good juck russel won't get bitten, but you don't want the snake dead either.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:46 am

I have a Jack Russell that always helps me when one of my snakes escape. He will sniff around until he finds the snake and then start growling. I did not train him at all although he sometimes sit in front of the boa's enclosure and just growls at them. My other jack russell just ignore the snakes completely and is more after the rats I feed
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Certain dogs are more suited for this work. You need to try a pointer type dog which will "point" the snake out but not approach it.

I see far too many Jack Russels and Fox terriers that are bitten by snakes. These are "ratting" dogs which were bred to attack rats and rabbits and kill them.

Spaniels are also "bird dogs" which are not that good at avoiding danger but I am sure you could train them too. You want the dog to notify you when it finds the snake but not actually try to "catch" it for you. At the airports they train dogs to find reptiles and they find all reptiles. Good luck with that.

I also saw somebody who trained a meerkat to look for snakes in houses. They unfortunately are not easy to train and get excited by a meal worm or a cricket just as easily as a snake. They just work on instinct and will only hunt when they are hungry.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Get an adult king snake to find the snakes, and track it while slithering around? They do eat other snakes so in theory they should be able to track snakes
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby taiwanbeauty » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:30 pm

In my own case, i think most snakes definately have the same odour. The sheds also always smell the same.
I once knew that there was a snake in a hole dug in some tree roots because i could smell the distinct odour of the snake.
IN THE BIBLE GOD GIVES US PERMISSION TO TREAD ON A SNAKES HEAD, ALL I CAN SAY IS “ PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP”.
taiwanbeauty
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Smell in snakes

Postby SABOAMAN » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:36 am

This would be interesting, but as BV said the dogs at airports get the reptiles.

I think the secret is in the training,but doubt the airport authorities will help you out there :D

Good luck and keep us posted
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby olivierwikus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Thankyou very much everybody
It's a young Jack Russel, he is doing well so far and he's been learned to not try and catch them he just starts barking.
In the beginning he got taged by the Yellow annaconda and almost got taged by the Burmese, but is keeping his distance now from all of them.
Thanks
olivierwikus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:41 am

Lol I don’t blame him hahah but its great idea to start with a agro snake like the anaconda cause now hi will put all snakes in the same light. Keep us posted.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 am

Wow this spounds good, hope he does well for you and may he lives a happy long life.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder