Children Pythons

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Children Pythons

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:57 am

Hi Guys,

Being new to the forum, I think it's necessary to introduce myself quickly. My name's James, I'm 15 years old and I'm a herp enthusiast. My last snake (Ball Pyhon Male) unfortunatley passed away a couple weeks ago after spending 3 weeks at the vet having come down with an infection induced by a burn caused by the heated pad (Yes, I learned my lesson... The hard way). For my previous birthday, I recieved an extremely expensive custom made snake tank (which my Ball Python stayed in), which I am not really happy with selling. So naturally, I hoped onto the computer to do some research on another snake to own. I came across the Children Python (Antaresia childreni). I also read and researched breeding with them, then emailed an Ausie Childreni breeder for more info. They seem to be a great snakes for beginners to start breeding with. They appear to be quite scarce in South Africa though, giving me even more reason to breed them.They really are stunning snakes and I wanted to know if anybody would be interested in owning one? There would be no point in breeding if no one is interested... I aim to increase demand and knowledge about these truly awesome snakes in South Africa.

1.0.0 Antaresia Childreni (Riptide)
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Children Pythons

Postby ColinWa » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:01 am

I've only seen one once here in a Petshop at a rather steep price at that. They are really cool snakes though and if you're breeding and selling i'm sure you'll have a great market for them!
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lerikoen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:03 am

I would love to see some pics of these snakes, and a little bit extra info. Our whole family loves reptiles - and I have a feeling my daughter will follow in her fathers footstep with a love for pythons.
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 am

JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 am

The pythons are really hardy and the best part is you don't need a huge cage for them! :)
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 am

Where do you stay James? If you are in the Eastern cape and think the western cape aswell then im sorry but you are going to have to come up with a new plan because they are not allowed to be kept in these areas. Also have a look at spotted pythons (Antaresia maculosa), they can be kept in most parts of SA. If you like childrens pythons you will dig the spotteds aswell :)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:24 am

I'm situated in Pretoria, so that's not a worry, though, I know nothing of the legalities of breeding... Do I need a permit or license?
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:42 am

I'm sure you will find buyers easily if the price is right. I know a few people that have wanted Children's Python's before.

Being from PTA, the only permits you need are for inddigenous species, so that won't be a problem.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:58 am

Oh ! Perfect !
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 pm

My little girl has one as a pet, the most awesome snake ever!

I am always looking out for them but have never seen one for sale since I bought this one about 2 years ago.

I was told that Creatures and Critters bred a batch this year, but apparently the were all snapped up very quickly.

You will have no problems selling the babies, I can guarantee that. I did manage to buy a Stimson's Python recently, they are very similar.
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Wow, it seems to be getting better and better! It seems I have a good case for my parents! Though I will only have one breeding pair, so maybe 10 odd pythons a year... If I do well, maybe 2 breeding pairs, though I'm not going to get my hopes up...
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Oh, and even better, the children python that I have my eye on is a morph, its very light grey. Either its a morph, or its not a childreni.
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Hey guys, good news, just got my male childreni! He's really aggro, apparently he has never really been handled much. Also turns out he's not a morph :-? Though he's in really great condition! :D Really amazing, will upload pics soon :) :-) ! So this means i will be breeding :-P
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Dunno if this will work?
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Yep!! They're a little small, but it works!!
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Pythons and Boas